Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cr45 Du57

Extenders

4 posts in this topic

:blush: I am sorry for this very newb question but what are extenders used for again? :blush:

extenders (in phone terms) are a number you call that lets you dial out. The most common example would be pre paid phone cards where you dial a toll free # and enter a long passcode to gain access. Other types of extenders are rare today (say a pbx that lets you dial out). You may find some but they will usually have limits ie only call other toll free #s.

You may find some but they will usually have limits ie only call other toll free #s.

You may note that these are still useful to some extent, in that you can dial 1-800-CALL-ATT or a similar op number and get connected to your final call destination.

I'm more interested in the extenders passing ANI information, I haven't used one in a long time and have not been able to find any info regarding this, does anyone know if they pass ANI?

Extenders usually dont pass your ANI info. There really isnt that big of a difference betwwen an extender and a prepaid phone card, as lowtec said. Usually, old school type etenders will sound like a dialtone or a DATU-like tone. One card I can think of that is kind of like an extender is the VOiP caling card at zerocents.com. You sign up with them and give them your phone number. there are local access numbers all over the country. If you call the access number without blocking your caller id, it will not ask for a password and when you place a call, it will pass along your CLID info. If you dial *67 before placing the call to the access number, you must eneter your password, and then place your call. In that situation, it will NOT pass your ANI/CLID. Its weird because lets say that you are calling FROM California and you are calling someone in Texas...the person in Texas will see a local access number in HIS area as the CLID. Its cool though, make them think youre close by!