JmanA9

List of Remaining 1AESS Offices

89 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Yup, Abilene is still there. Just called it :) . A supe test, however, won't work on an SS7 trunk; that might account for your difficulty reaching it.

Bleah, sorry, I meant Odessa. Abilene has been gone for at least a month.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

2 hours ago, ThoughtPhreaker said:

A supe test, however, won't work on an SS7 trunk; that might account for your difficulty reaching it.

It definitely goes off-hook, like it should to start... But you're right, the SS7 trunks probably make the rest of the test obsolete.

I'm trying to think of a test number that would definitely be indicative of an electromechanical (or whatever you want to consider a 1A) switch, but wouldn't be present on whatever crap is there now.

I believe that the Warner Robbins 1A is no longer there.

Happened within the last few days, it seems. Someone I talked to on Twitter had recently found a sweeping frequency test on 478-923-3131, but now that's an NIS.

Yup, they're dropping like flies. Now that it's April, I bet there are less than 5 left. Wonder how we can test the remaining ones?

Posted (edited)

I want to say Odessa is still holding strong.

Calling 432-333-8181 gives a NIS recording that repeats twice (and sounds interesting on the end of each repetition), but seems to very noticeably click into the busy or reorder (?!) that follows.

Edited by JCSwishMan33

Posted (edited)

So just some quick dialling around on the cell phone going off of the list on Page 3, looking at the switches with no info or 2017 shut-offs:

Warner-Robbins and Shreveport (South Highland) seem gone (recordings sound very digital).

Odessa I suspect is still around, as noted above.

Atlanta (Adamsville) seems gone.

I suspect Augusta (Fleming East) is still around because it sounds like it clicks into the recording (706-560-9901 for example). There's also a short MW-to-silent term on 706-793-2298.

Lagrange seems gone.

EDIT BELOW THIS!

Savannah (Derenne) seems gone.

I suspect Lafayette Main is still around, as intercept answers the same way as Augusta (337-236-9999). However, I want to say that ThoughtPhreaker mentioned Lafayette had cut over... If this is the case, then Augusta is out too because both switches sound the same.

Grand Rapids (Bell) seems... Like an enigma. Sandman CO search lists it as a 1A, but AT&T's 2005 Test Line Directory for Area Code 616 (https://primeaccess.att.com//commonfiles/amer/1897/IM-616.pdf) doesn't even show a 616-770 switch? Could it have been a 1A tandem? As it is, it seems to not be there as a 1A as reachable recordings (616-770-0000/9999) don't click.

Laude (Florissant) seems gone.

So without backing through the main list more (maybe checking Q4 2016 switches for holdovers), we have either 0, 1, or 3 1As left in the PSTN. I'm firmly convinced Odessa is still a 1A, but I could use confirmation.

Edited by JCSwishMan33

So in conversation with TP on the conf (sorry about cutting out so quick; baby business), we determined that Augusta (Fleming East) is indeed still a 1A. That gives me high confidence that Lafayette (Main) is still as well, as they have matching intercept recordings and clicks.

Along with Odessa (Lincoln), this leaves 3 1As in the modern PSTN.

My money's on Odessa either being the next to cut-over, or being the Last Of The Mohicans.

Posted (edited)

On 4/27/2017 at 9:17 AM, JCSwishMan33 said:

So in conversation with TP on the conf (sorry about cutting out so quick; baby business), we determined that Augusta (Fleming East) is indeed still a 1A. That gives me high confidence that Lafayette (Main) is still as well, as they have matching intercept recordings and clicks.

Along with Odessa (Lincoln), this leaves 3 1As in the modern PSTN.

My money's on Odessa either being the next to cut-over, or being the Last Of The Mohicans.

If I have time before I leave on yet another business trip, I'll contact a friend of mine at iConetiv (the successor to Bellcore, Telcordia, etc. etc.) to see what 1As are still around.

Sad when Lafayette Main goes away since that's where my friend Mark Cuccia lived. He was the one who always tracked the last 1AESS switches in the US. Sadly he passed away in 2014. That's why I'm keeping this thread alive in his memory. (TP knows who he is too.)

Edited by dmine45

Wow. Well, that was a surprise. Augusta and Lafayette Main are both gone. Odessa, however, lives on. I had my bets on Augusta being the last. Why this is I have no idea, but get it while it's hot. It was supposed to be cut over a few months ago.

Odessa has been converted over. I grabbed about 5 recordings from a faxmodem on the 1st before it was switched.

I'll try to post them whenever I have the time.

So I take it that Odessa was the last 1AESS office? So what was the date that it went down? June 1st?

Another notch in the change of technology. The last crossbar offices went away in the US circa 1993, the last step or XY office in the US was around 1999, Canada was 2001 (Nates, Quebec).

And it looks like the last 1AESS was Odessa, TX in May or June 2017.

RIP old switching systems. :(

On 6/4/2017 at 8:17 PM, dmine45 said:

And it looks like the last 1AESS was Odessa, TX in May or June 2017.

RIP old switching systems. :(

Info I have says it was removed from the network June 3rd, and due to be powered down on June 7th.