Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sesrun

DOS FTP Server

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a good DOS ftp server, that doesn't need ANY windows to run, and if not how easy it would be to program one in C, or C++ and a good template as to how? Thanks in advanced.

-Sesrun

Edited by Sesrun

Programming one would be a great expierence but it's not exactly the quickest choice of action. If you are very good at C/C++ I suggest you get a book (or find a tutorial) on windows socket programming. Don't expect to be writing your first ftp program from day one though.

Although i'm fimiliar with a few ftp daemons that run in windows, I'm unaware of any that run in strictly MS-DOS. If you don't have windows on the machine, I'm assuming it's older. If that's true why not just get a distro of say FreeBSD and install it, the software comes with it and you get to learn a good *nix distro. (NOTE: FreeBSD isn't a newbie's distro by any means!) (NOTE2: I can already hear raven saying "I started out on FreeBSD..." haha)

It Just depends on how much work you want to put into it.

(NOTE2: I can already hear raven saying "I started out on FreeBSD..." haha)

No I started out on slackware, I have always been very honest about that, So I see no reason for you to make flaming remarks; Please respect this forum as I do by following its rules and at least trying to act mature.

Network servers under dos is a more complicated issue then most as some use there own stack for tcp/ip all together; It really depends on what exactly you are running and how your network card is set up (as well as what your cards chipset it); I don’t have allot of experience on this myself, but it would be nice to know exactly what your running as far as hardware/software goes as it would be much easier to help you if we had that information.

OK Heres the problem with MS-Dos. It was a little before the internet was "Big" Therefore older versions lack a lot of the support required to support server software (or even client software for that matter)

/me smacks raven on the back

calm down man it was just a joke :P

OK Heres the problem with MS-Dos. It was a little before the internet was "Big" Therefore older versions lack a lot of the support required to support server software (or even client software for that matter)

DOS has been capable of supporting internet functions for a long time. Heck, the first versions of AOL and many old/dead ISP software programs were DOS-based. So there must be some very ancient ftp server software out there for DOS.

True, any OS really has "support" for internet programs. The difference however is how much it depends on the program. If you get/make a complex networking/internet program for Linux or Windows chances are you're going to be utilizing a LOT of stuff 'built in' to the OS. Wheras in DOS there a lot of internet related stuff that just isn't there - sure its still possible, but certain required things have to be included SOMEWHERE.

Also DOS lacked a standardized driver system of any kind. Good luck getting a modern modem or ethernet card working with DOS...thats one main thing is that the DOS kernel really lacks any kind of advanced hardware support. No /dev-type thing...everything to run and utilize your modem has to either 1) be IN your FTP server or 2) Be in a seperate app and your FTP server has to be made to work WITH this software. VERY FEW widely used stanards for hardware support were ever achieved with DOS.

<Edit> One more comment. True the first version of AOL ran on DOS but I personally used this back in the day. It SUCKED (It wasn't 'internet' it was Chat, E-mail and a few other small things...its been years, but I don't believe AOL even had ANY Part of the internet. Everything was AOL-Customers-Only). And it had virtually no hardware support.

Edited by Elimist

try checking out the source code for war ftp and seeing if it is possible to port it to dos (it is w32)...if anything you would get a good view at some working ftp proggy source code. (I am using it for my ftp server software)

Edited by Crimson_Binome

Originally what I was planning to do is since the comps I normally use(specifically at school) have "DeepFreeze" on them I've figured out a semi-way of getting around it by using a boot disk and knowing the Bios Passwd. I have a LOT of files on specifically one computer's "Thawspace" and would like to be able to access it through out the school by FTP. If I get/make a FTP server program for dos then put a line to it in the autoexec.bat or config.sys then it will automatically start the server on boot instead of me always having to manually start WarFTP. The computer is a Dell OptiPlex GX1 Pentium II w/ 128 MB Ram it was originally designed for Windows 95 but is running 98se.

Thanks,

-Sesrun

Edited by Sesrun

ooo DeepFreeze my school has that and they think its so perfect its funny i laugh to myself about how useless it is ^_^

ooo DeepFreeze my school has that and they think its so perfect its funny i laugh to myself about how useless it is ^_^

Its a pain in the ass, but far from useless. My school has averted disaster after disaster caused by virii using DeepFreeze. Although, running software out of thawspace defeats the purpose of the program, so thats why my shop teacher gave us all the password so if we wanted to install something, we'd thaw it for one boot, install what needed to be installed, and restart to freeze it back up.

back when I was in high school the school system used some proggy called fortress to keep us from using anything like ie. We just had to open with the the "right-mouse-click" pop-up menu in the notepad open file option...not too hard at all...too bad I got caught looking at elicit material online...=P

The really sad part is that my computer teacher would give us the password to the protection system thinking that we could be trusted...rahahahahahahhahahahaa

Edited by Crimson_Binome