resistorX

Cracking Microsoft products

4 posts in this topic

I'm posting this to share my observation.

Microsoft is defending their products in case it gets cracked and cracked so well that it passes Microsoft Genuine Advantage validation and the cracked product is able to receive Microsoft updates.

What they've done is insert code into some Microsoft updates which figures out if a product was cracked and had passed validation but shouldn't have.

I've witnessed this myself with Microsoft Office. I've done some reading and have noted people experiencing this same issue with Vista OS. It's safe to assume since M$ is doing this with these 2 products, it doesn't stop there.

A case I witnessed is where the person obtained Office 2007 in January 2008 and used it without a problem and was even able to get Microsoft updates for it, till one day in late 2009 he received this small message window (see below). After this happened, the person using Microsoft Office then keeps getting this same small message window whenever he opens Word. Here's the message window he gets :

2ceosi.png

All one has to do to rid the small window is hit "remind me later" of course.

Notice above where it says "In 9 day(s)..."? From some unknown reason after the amount of days expires, it sometimes starts the count over again. When it doesn't start the count over again, it just says "This copy of Microsoft Office has been marked not genuine" or something to that effect, but Office can still be used same as usual PLUS it still can receive Microsoft updates... go figure.

If M$ did it right, one would think that receiving updates at the very least would have stopped. Also, if M$ really tried to do it correctly, the inserted code would render Office unusable - guess they're not as good as they think, IMO. But there again, it appears crackers are not as good as they think all the time either since M$ is uncracking their cracks. Guess that tug of war of cracking and companies trying to uncrack their cracks never ends. :cool:

I'm posting this to share my observation.

Microsoft is defending their products in case it gets cracked and cracked so well that it passes Microsoft Genuine Advantage validation and the cracked product is able to receive Microsoft updates.

What they've done is insert code into some Microsoft updates which figures out if a product was cracked and had passed validation but shouldn't have.

I've witnessed this myself with Microsoft Office. I've done some reading and have noted people experiencing this same issue with Vista OS. It's safe to assume since M$ is doing this with these 2 products, it doesn't stop there.

A case I witnessed is where the person obtained Office 2007 in January 2008 and used it without a problem and was even able to get Microsoft updates for it, till one day in late 2009 he received this small message window (see below). After this happened, the person using Microsoft Office then keeps getting this same small message window whenever he opens Word. Here's the message window he gets :

2ceosi.png

All one has to do to rid the small window is hit "remind me later" of course.

Notice above where it says "In 9 day(s)..."? From some unknown reason after the amount of days expires, it sometimes starts the count over again. When it doesn't start the count over again, it just says "This copy of Microsoft Office has been marked not genuine" or something to that effect, but Office can still be used same as usual PLUS it still can receive Microsoft updates... go figure.

If M$ did it right, one would think that receiving updates at the very least would have stopped. Also, if M$ really tried to do it correctly, the inserted code would render Office unusable - guess they're not as good as they think, IMO. But there again, it appears crackers are not as good as they think all the time either since M$ is uncracking their cracks. Guess that tug of war of cracking and companies trying to uncrack their cracks never ends. :cool:

I think you stated it correctly in that they really aren't trying. If they did, somebody with a "valid" key would be complaining about how much "Microsoft sucks" because their copy of MS Office isn't working anymore. I see this a lot on volume license keys that get overused by pc repair folks.

Lets not forget that if they stop you from using MS products you'd be more likely to try the alternatives. MS know that and i'd bet that they would MUCH rather you use their software illegitimately than not at all.

Lets not forget that if they stop you from using MS products you'd be more likely to try the alternatives. MS know that and i'd bet that they would MUCH rather you use their software illegitimately than not at all.

That's pretty much the jist of it. Both Adobe and Microsoft practically give away all their software to students. In the case of Microsoft they actually do give away Windows for free, if you take one of the courses like CompTia or any of the Microsoft specific courses you get the professional edition of the two latest Windows release completely free as a download, or 25$ to order the disc.