Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epew23

Html Table stuff

6 posts in this topic

I am not sure if it is called a table or not, but I want on my web page to have a list of things on the right that dont interfere with the body. Basically i want to divide my web page into four parts. The top where the title and navigation help it the right where links and whopla are and the left where there are more links and such. here is an example. You can see how the right hand side has a table sort of thing? I want that but the entire page length and a different color. Anyone know what im talking about? I tried dynamic drive all their tables are too... exotic for my taste. Thanks in advance.

I tried using the whole row span thing but i dont know how to make the table as big as the entire site and i dont know how to set the boarders invisible.

<td rowspan=????>TEXT</td>

Edited by 1337_snic

Yes, tables will work, as will CSS. I still use tables for the main grid of pages, then use CSS for all the stuff inside the main tables. I'm not sure what you mean by Dynamic Drive's tables, huh? You can nest tables as well to achieve different layouts

Some helpful stuff to learn about tables (different attributes):

- colspan

- rowspan

- cellpadding

- cellspacing

- nested tables

Hope I answered your question.

borders = border=0

Edited by tekio

what you mean like this?(accept no border just added so can see it clearly)tables.html

tables will work if you have no border/use one cell for the page and one for the other bit with the links, other wise would look really blocky. other wise you may want to look into frames as it has better support for graphic/design wise as you can defince the width as a percent instead of having it automagikly be the width of text+cellpad

editz: nvm you can load a picture thats the same color as the background 1 pixel tall x w.e. width to make the table shape

Edited by dinscurge

what you mean like this?(accept no border just added so can see it clearly)tables.html

Sort of but no boarder and the entire page like that. Tekio, i looked up css templates and i found exactly what i needed thank you so much. I have never really done an advance organized web page only little things. Got it working and everything thing.

Now:

Anyone know of a good free web host that allows my script to be injected?

You should really avoid using a table for any type of layout, CSS was developed to separate the presentation layer from the content. When CSS started getting big, there was a misconception that tables in general were evil and should never be used, this however is not true. Tables are great for certain types of data such as data you would generally put in a table or spreadsheet, however the table should never be used for creating the action layout. You should look into other block elements such as divs which are probably what you are looking for.

You should really avoid using a table for any type of layout, CSS was developed to separate the presentation layer from the content. When CSS started getting big, there was a misconception that tables in general were evil and should never be used, this however is not true. Tables are great for certain types of data such as data you would generally put in a table or spreadsheet, however the table should never be used for creating the action layout. You should look into other block elements such as divs which are probably what you are looking for.

I second livinded. Competent web designers/developers agree the best practice is to separate your presentation from your content completely. Use external CSS, please.