Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ph

The Payphone Project

5 posts in this topic

Overall, payphone-project isn't too bad, I suppose. I've been trying to start up a database of payphone numbers as well, it's at my site. Is there a definitive payphone directory somewhere?

Overall, payphone-project isn't too bad, I suppose. I've been trying to start up a database of payphone numbers as well, it's at my site. Is there a definitive payphone directory somewhere?

I would imagine with all the COCOTs and such it would be next to impossible for the phone companies to keep a definitive list of ALL payphones... A list of company owned payphones probably exists somewhere.

As a side note, Bellsouth has almost completed its removal of company payphones around my area after threatening it for almost three years. Sorry to see them go.

As a side note, Bellsouth has almost completed its removal of company payphones around my area after threatening it for almost three years. Sorry to see them go.

that sucks, man. where (npa?)

I would imagine with all the COCOTs and such it would be next to impossible for the phone companies to keep a definitive list of ALL payphones

yeah, especially since some cocots are technically POTS lines in the telco database. (ANI II = 00)

that sucks, man. where (npa?)

I would imagine with all the COCOTs and such it would be next to impossible for the phone companies to keep a definitive list of ALL payphones

yeah, especially since some cocots are technically POTS lines in the telco database. (ANI II = 00)

Well, supposedly all over their coverage area, although here in the 954/305/561 area I was still seeing a few up until a few months ago.

Here's part of an article put out back in March of 2001, check out the part that is highlighted, I didn't know we were making such an impact. :D

(Actually, to find out who the real people are who aren't paying, check out the full article: http://specials.ft.com/fttelc/may2001/FT31AD4YOMC.html)

Just last month, BellSouth, a Baby Bell that covers the southeast of the US, said it would quit the payphone business by December of 2002, focusing its attention instead on the future of its business; its wireless communications businesses, which includes wireless telephones and pagers and has already seen explosive growth over the past few years.

BellSouth's decision to abandon its 143,000 payphones, which may be picked up by alternative carriers, is not surprising. The company says it saw a dramatic decrease in usage after 1998, the year wireless telecoms companies started offering packages of minutes combined with mobile phones at a reasonable price and usage rates of mobiles skyrocketed.

Decreased use of payphones for people on the go since the advent of the mobile is not the only factor hitting payphone providers' businesses. BellSouth, along with Verizon, and private payphone operators are not paid for about 35 per cent of the calls made from their phones, according to Vince Sanbusky, president of the American Public Communications Council (APCC), a trade organisation which represent private payphone operators.