gLi7cha

Alfa AWUS036NH 1000mW

43 posts in this topic

Probably too late, but does anyone know anything about this card? (Alfa AWUS036NH 1000mW) I just ordered it lol, so maybe I should have asked THEN ordered lol. I've have my eye on the Alfa 500mW 802.11n wireless-N USB adapter AWUS050NH and the Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW. I went back to the site today to try to make a final decision and finally place an order, but then I seen the AWUS036NH. Maybe I've just never seen it b4 on the site, or maybe it's new *??* But It says it works with Backtrack and I wouldn't think that they'd even put that in the description unless they were implying that it injects. It uses a Ralink 3070 also known as RT 3070. Does anyone have any experience with this card? (or do I get to be the guinea pig this time around? lol) I know I should have asked 1st, but my eeepc (1005HA) is dying for more range! lol Anyways, just wondering, let me know if you have any experience, comments, or concerns about this card? Also, would you yourself buy this card? Thanx in advance.

-gLi7cha

I've used ralink based cards in the past and have always had good luck with them. As far as I know they do injection out of the box and there is good kernel support. That particular chipset I know nothing about however.

That adapter was actually released after BT4 Beta, so probably no. Your best bet would be to try the latest development release of aircrack-ng or slitaz. However, that particular chipset is is totally different than the RT 73. You could try taking it back (unless N is a must) and get an 500Mw RF amp and the Alfa with a 500Mw RTL8187....

Let me know if you get the 3070 to inject though....

Edited by tekio

Just waiting for it to come in now... I'll take pix and try to get screen shots to put up. It comes with a 5dBi ant. but I also ordered a 9dBi, and I also already have a D-Link 7dBi... So I should be good on antennas lol. I figure a 9dBi antenna push 1000mW through it, running aircrack-ng would be one bad mammajamma lol.....(if it works of course). Like I said though, I'll let every know how it goes and put up pix.

-gLi7cha

Please report back when you complete the injection tests, I'm also in doubt to buy this particular card because there's no info at all if it injects or not.

Please report back when you complete the injection tests, I'm also in doubt to buy this particular card because there's no info at all if it injects or not.

N/P - Should be here in a few days :-)

Ah 4fuksake!! lol..... why can't I ever get hardware that just WORKS with *nix in general! lol..... thanx for the heads up though ;-)

-gLi7cha

Ah 4fuksake!! lol..... why can't I ever get hardware that just WORKS with *nix in general! lol..... thanx for the heads up though ;-)

-gLi7cha

From my research till now I've found that it works for sure, for example here's the driver for Fedora 12:

Rpmfusion

The question is if it injects or not, so let's hope for the best. :smile:

SHIPPING.... FINALLY! lol.... Place the order Friday night (I think) And it's on it's way from AZ as of yesterday! (WooWoo!) So I should have some results to share b4 the end of the week ;-)

-gLi7cha

SHIPPING.... FINALLY! lol.... Place the order Friday night (I think) And it's on it's way from AZ as of yesterday! (WooWoo!) So I should have some results to share b4 the end of the week ;-)

-gLi7cha

Glad to hear it, fingers crossed! :smile: By the way where did you order it from?

IMHO 1W of power for this frq range can be harmful for your health and battery drain while wardriving

Well, I hope not too harmful lol

I hope putting a head into microwave oven isn't as well ;-)

however I'm not a scientist so do some research on your own because 1W is surely beyond standarization and using this may lead to legal problems

Edited by Havoc

Ok, but in all fairness, This will be my hack and slack card lol... Not my everyday lol.... I've got a router 5 feet away from me, A wifi card in each on of my laptops, and a netgear 111v3 usb card! lol.... This is really just going to be used for when I'm "out & about" and trying to extend range lol. ...... But still, you're right.... I hope usage that limited won't be all that damaging... Or at least I wouldn't think so *??* .... If you think about it we've been getting pummeled with RF since we were born. I know that's not reason to add fuel to the fire, but really, I think it'll be ok ;-)

-gLi7cha

1W might seem like a lot of power, but with non-ionizing radiation there isn't much cause for alarm. the only way it can hurt you is by dielectric heating, and if this product posed a real danger to its users there's no way they would sell it. this does have to meet FCC standards after all to be sold in the US.

if you're still paranoid, you can use it sparingly and move it away from you or turn it off if you start feeling warm, but i doubt that would happen. many studies have been conducted with both animals and humans to see what effects this kind of radiation has on the body, and it's only when you REALLY crank up the power that dielectric heating poses any threat. that thing will have to put out much more than 1 watt for you to even be concerned.

Ok, but in all fairness, This will be my hack and slack card lol... Not my everyday lol.... I've got a router 5 feet away from me, A wifi card in each on of my laptops, and a netgear 111v3 usb card! lol.... This is really just going to be used for when I'm "out & about" and trying to extend range lol. ...... But still, you're right.... I hope usage that limited won't be all that damaging... Or at least I wouldn't think so *??* .... If you think about it we've been getting pummeled with RF since we were born. I know that's not reason to add fuel to the fire, but really, I think it'll be ok ;-)

-gLi7cha

dont put it by your head for prolonged periods of time and you should be fine. same with bluetooth headsets wear them all day long and you'll start getting headaches and eventually a tumor. so you know dont set it ontop of your head for hours in a row every day and should be fine.

It can't be any worse then the antennas I used to sit in front of in the Navy. Radars that have a range of up to 250 miles lol.... Stood in front of that for 12 hours a day for 5 years! lol.... And still managed to have 2 great kids, (no arms growing out of foreheads or anything) lol.... So hell, I'm sure this 1W really won't be that big of a deal lol.

-gLi7cha

I hate being impatient! lol.... Just checked the USPS tracker.... It's Here (in city).... Now I just have to freaking wait for the mail to come! lol So with any luck I should have pix and hopefully screen shots up. Screen Shots will be taken in BT4 using airodump-ng showing signals from internal atheros card, and external alfa card. For this I will place the card as close to the laptop (EEEPC 1005HA) as I can. I also bought a 9dBi gain antenna ;-) that I will do b4/after with as well. The "rubber duck" antenna it comes with is a 5dBi, so we'll get to see just what kind of difference 4 more dBi can make with 1000mW. CAN'T WAIT!! lol.

-gLi7cha

BTW: Don't double post just use 'edit' button.

Any news yet? :rolleyes:

Trying to get BT4 back in EEE, then maybe we'll know something. Got tied up in a lot of other stuff over the last few days. Sorry. Trying to get an actual benchmark tonight ;-)

-gLi7cha

*** Ok, Got BT4 back up and going, see's my atheros card, netgear card, AND my alfa. Still don't think the driver's are working right.... When I do airmon-ng I see everything, blah, blah, blah, and ra0 for the alfa. So I do: airmon-ng stop ra0, then airmon-ng start ra0 to put it in mon, but when I start airodump-ng ra0 I gets nothing :-( ..... Also, if I did this same thing with my other cards I get like a mon0 when in monitor mode. With the ra0 I get nothing in that spot. *??* ..... Any other advice from here?

Edited by gLi7cha

Any news yet? :rolleyes:

*** Ok, Got BT4 back up and going, see's my atheros card, netgear card, AND my alfa. Still don't think the driver's are working right.... When I do airmon-ng I see everything, blah, blah, blah, and ra0 for the alfa. So I do: airmon-ng stop ra0, then airmon-ng start ra0 to put it in mon, but when I start airodump-ng ra0 I gets nothing :-( ..... Also, if I did this same thing with my other cards I get like a mon0 when in monitor mode. With the ra0 I get nothing in that spot. *??* ..... Any other advice from here?

Try using iwconfig to put it into monitor mode: iwconfig ra0 mode monitor. I once read that if the chipset is not known, airmon-ng can be flaky. Again, this is just something I read, but have never verified the validity. oohh, are you setting the channel with airmon-ng?

No, just: airmon-ng stop ra0 then: airmon-ng start ra0 (the mac is aleardy reading 00:00:00:00:00:00.... strange huh? lol).

And right now I'm adding every source bt4 has (except for sec updates lol) ..... Not sure, but just had a feeling that could screw something up in the framework (msf). So it's added all dev, all binary, etc..... we'll see if that helps.... Checking that, then the iwconfig way ;-)

I GOT A MAC ADDY!!! WOO!! .... XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (Alfa, Inc.)

Think we're making some headway! lol

I think I can see the problem. When I run airmon-ng the return says blah, blah, blah, Driver: ra0 - rt2500. I believe it's suppose to be rt3037 (or something.... too tired to look it up lol)..... But if I was a betting man, I'd say that's it..... BT is just using the wrong driver. Any "step-by-step help" would be great here lol. I'm calling it a night. But thanx everyone. Keep the ideas coming so we can get some results outta this card. lol...... It may just become the new standard (if we can get it working lol..... Go figure the first guy in the community can't even get it working lol)...... Night everyone, thanx again.

-gLi7cha

Well, Still nothing with airodump-ng :-( ....... Still working on it though

Edited by gLi7cha

No, just: airmon-ng stop ra0 then: airmon-ng start ra0 (the mac is aleardy reading 00:00:00:00:00:00.... strange huh? lol).

And right now I'm adding every source bt4 has (except for sec updates lol) ..... Not sure, but just had a feeling that could screw something up in the framework (msf). So it's added all dev, all binary, etc..... we'll see if that helps.... Checking that, then the iwconfig way ;-)

I GOT A MAC ADDY!!! WOO!! .... XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (Alfa, Inc.)

Think we're making some headway! lol

I think I can see the problem. When I run airmon-ng the return says blah, blah, blah, Driver: ra0 - rt2500. I believe it's suppose to be rt3037 (or something.... too tired to look it up lol)..... But if I was a betting man, I'd say that's it..... BT is just using the wrong driver. Any "step-by-step help" would be great here lol. I'm calling it a night. But thanx everyone. Keep the ideas coming so we can get some results outta this card. lol...... It may just become the new standard (if we can get it working lol..... Go figure the first guy in the community can't even get it working lol)...... Night everyone, thanx again.

-gLi7cha

Well, Still nothing with airodump-ng :-( ....... Still working on it though

Just dropped you a private messsage, let's try to fix it together. :P