Phail_Saph

*Early Warning* Winter 2600 Inbound

13 posts in this topic

When I came home today, I had a pleasant surprise awaiting me in the mailbox, my Winter edition of 2600. For subscribers, if you haven't received it yet it's inbound.

Winter_Index2.jpg

When I came home today, I had a pleasant surprise awaiting me in the mailbox, my Winter edition of 2600. For subscribers, if you haven't received it yet it's inbound.

Winter_Index2.jpg

huh, that's funny. Haven't seen it myself yet. It'll probably hit the stores in a couple of days

I'm surprised people still subscribe and read this shit. 2600 got to the point where the majority of the articles aren't worth reading anymore. I can't remember the last time anything new had been posted in 2600 that hadn't been already covered at a con or in a paper that was published for free on the web. The editing and fact checking that goes into the articles is terrible at best with technologically incorrect material being printed for whatever reason.

I'm surprised people still subscribe and read this shit. 2600 got to the point where the majority of the articles aren't worth reading anymore. I can't remember the last time anything new had been posted in 2600 that hadn't been already covered at a con or in a paper that was published for free on the web. The editing and fact checking that goes into the articles is terrible at best with technologically incorrect material being printed for whatever reason.

For the most part I agree. Typically though when I read 2600 I don't read it to learn anything necessarily. Mostly just read the reader mail and skim through the articles. Sometimes there's something that catches my interest, but I always read it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I'll assume you didn't mean that as an attack against me. But I know what you mean. I learn virtually nothing new from a technical perspective from that zine, on many occasions I witness fantasy portrayed as fact, and can recommend an English class or two for some of the writers.

But subscriptions show support. So although much like SigFLUP, I find the most interesting articles to actually be the letters (I'm in there, not this issue) and the editorial, I see my subscription as my way of supporting our institutions. Real hackers are hyper individualistic because we are forced to be as the outsiders, the 'weirdos,' the 'nerds,' just to name a few of the most benign. We are forced to confront the universe alone...at least in the beginning. If for, what like 20 bucks a year, I can support a forum that links us together and "plants the Hacker Flag" for the world to see and be a rally point for us to be our communal and consensus selves I'm going to do it. In fact, that's why this board exits. It is also why I need to get around and donate to BinRev.

Places like BinRev and publications like 2600 are special not because of what they present in the way of knowledge but in the simple fact that they EXIST.

Here is a letter, the one signed by enygma, from the latest issue that I thought really sums up a lot of the nay sayers:

letter3.jpg

I think the 2600 response is right on and that this applies to a lot of the "first" level disenchanted. After a while between age, education, and just plain growth many things like 2600, Phrack, and BinRev may seem beneath them but the community doesn't just exist for the self-described 'elite.' It exists for everyone with an open-mind and an open-heart.

[And that concludes this public service announcement by Phail_Saph]

Oh and by the way...there is a reason why I have an arrow pointing to one of the articles.

Can anyone guess? And no, I didn't write that article.

1. theres no need to post a picture of ur self phailsaph :P. 2. idk ur mama?

congrats sigflup!

Ditto :tongue:

1. theres no need to post a picture of ur self phailsaph :P.

I thought I looked extra pretty in that outfit of mine. Don't be a hater. What is a tranny to do?

I thought I looked extra pretty in that outfit of mine. Don't be a hater. What is a tranny to do?

idk finish the operation? +1 congratulations on ur drum and bass tut :P.

I had something strange happen to me regarding this issue...

I got an email from 2600 over the Christmas break telling me that an article that I wrote was being used in the current issue. I submitted 2 articles a couple of months ago so I thought it was one of those. When the issue was waiting in my mailbox when i got back from vacation, I did not see any of my articles in it. Now that is fine, I am not butthurt or anything, it just seemed strange to get that email is all. And sometimes those emails come late, but I have not submitted anything in several years due to the time spent being an admin on this site/server so it couldn't possibly be THAT damn late.

Not all of the articles that I submit are under my handle...some are submitted under other handles but none of the articles in this issue were from me. I have no idea why they told me that one was used. I will chalk it up to a simple mistake.

Not all of the articles that I submit are under my handle...some are submitted under other handles but none of the articles in this issue were from me.

Interesting...I'm not sure how I feel about that...writing under different handles. I mean a handle by definition was developed to ensure anonymity while retaining all the advantages of a name, but once you are part of a community your handle becomes a source of pride and notoriety even if your true identity becomes known.

For a zine like 2600, to be frank, in order to increase the likelihood of publication multiple handles might actually work especially if the articles are of high quality. I don't recall 2600 publishing two or more articles by the same person in one month, although I haven't really checked. I just don't remember saying "hmmm, another one by this guy." So if you use multiple handles a single person could have multiple articles published. I sure this isn't a new idea and happens more frequently then is commonly understood.

So what were you reasons? And, if any of the handles are 'stale' do you mind telling us some of them as you did leave it as a tease for the inquiring mind... :tongue:

Not all of the articles that I submit are under my handle...some are submitted under other handles but none of the articles in this issue were from me.

So what were you reasons? And, if any of the handles are 'stale' do you mind telling us some of them as you did leave it as a tease for the inquiring mind... :tongue:

Subject matter. If the subject matter is questionable and I fear that there might be backlash from it, then I submit it from a throwaway handle. It is not an alter-ego thing, it is a safety thing. I don't write for notoriety, I write to get information out there and because I enjoy it. I don't care if anyone knows that it is from me.

With that said, NO, it would defeat the point to tell you the handle. ;)