Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sector-xero

Dumping Data From RAM

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I wrote a new article for my site. I hope you people find in helpful. Feedback is appreciated.

Intro:

When I played the game Fallout 3, I often enjoyed playing the hacking mini-game within it. While drifting through the wastelands your character often discovers functional computers. Your character types a series of commands and performs a data dump to discover passwords. I think this mini game is clever, entertaining and fairly accurate.

http://www.sector-xero.com/articles/data_dump.htm

*cough*

It looks pretty nice. I like the real-world example you used. Also, not having played fallout, I didn't know fallout had minigames like that- that's actually pretty cool

You felt justified in making a tutorial after being schooled by a video game? You aren't embarrassed? lolz

This should be in the noober section.

I use FTK imager for my dumps. It has a hex editor built in and lets me create, like its name implies, an image of the dump. Even though you RAM has a ton of stuffz in there your OS follows a general pattern. You can get memory maps for your OS and see where stuff is generally located. Great for injections too.

Cool ya, thumb your nose at my work. No, that's cool.

I'm not going to degrade myself to any flames.

Edited by Sector-Xero

Cool ya, thumb your nose at my work. No, that's cool.

I'm not going to degrade myself to any flames.

lolz...but you rep me down. Pretty hypocritical.

I was not *attacking* you but just making playful bantor and pointing out something funny. It *is* funny that you made a tutorial after being schooled by a game. It's just funny...doesn't have to be insulting.

the writeup is interesting but doesn't go into too much detail, i would've liked to see a bit of how the program actually dumped memory, or maybe if there were better methods to locate a password than finding it by already knowing it.

also, i find it a bit of a stretch to call that minigame in fallout 3 accurate. it looks the part and could actually be a plausible attack with a bit of suspension of disbelief, but it is still a minigame after all.