Pi_2.0

Good Books on Electronics/Electrical Engineering

12 posts in this topic

I've been meaning to do this for a while but am just getting around to it now. I want to learn about how to build some basic types of electronics. I'm looking for a fairly comprehensive book that covers the most basic forms of circuit building to far more complex ones (physics class was quite a while ago).

My ultimate goal is building circuit boards for SDR RF modulation/demodulation, and possibly some basic transmitters. But like I said, anything that covers the basics rather well is ideal.

+1 to books/schematics on transmitters.

I've always liked the ARRL Handbooks. I just recently picked up the 2010 edition, though that might have been an impulse buy. But hey, they're good and now I can keep 2010 in the basement and 2009 in my room

I would recomend 'The art of electronics' (writing out the first 3 chapters got me through the 2nd year of college). It's a bit pricey, but is a common student book so you might find a copy secondhand somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261970367&sr=8-1-spell

If you're looking for something a bit lighter there is also:

http://www.amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Electricity-Kazuhiro-Fujitaki/dp/1593271972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261970460&sr=1-1

Mungewell.

I would recomend 'The art of electronics' (writing out the first 3 chapters got me through the 2nd year of college). It's a bit pricey, but is a common student book so you might find a copy secondhand somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261970367&sr=8-1-spell

If you're looking for something a bit lighter there is also:

http://www.amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Electricity-Kazuhiro-Fujitaki/dp/1593271972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261970460&sr=1-1

Mungewell.

thats a fuck no on the manga, but "The Art of Electronics" looks to be exactly what i'm looking for. thanks.

Definitely check out the ARRL Handbook for radio-related circuits.

You might check out Forrest M. Mims' "Engineer's Mini-Notebook" series, for an introduction to basic electronics. They used to be sold at Radio Shack, when Radio Shack carried components and such, but IIRC they're out of print so you'll have to find them used. They're also available on the Internet, though I'm not sure how legal scanning and distributing them is. I've got copies of more or less the entire series -- if you're interested in them, and can't find them elsewhere, PM me.

Well the only non-college book i've read is "Basic Electronics", its a radioshack book that they probably don't sell anymore but could be found on amazon. Starts with basics and works up, nothing too fancy if i remember correctly. As far as college books go, I semi-enjoyed the book "Introduction to Computing Systems: from bits and gates to C and beyond", but partly because the writer was my teacher. It's a nice intro to low-level computer systems. For logic the only book I own is "Fundamentals of Digital Logic Design" by roth, but I haven't read much of it. What I have read has been pretty easy to understand. That book is meant for a self-taught college course, so I imagine it would be the easiest to understand without help.

anyone got a book on more analog subjects? like big electronics/high voltage, coils, amplifiers, filters ect. instead of your logic gates and 555 timers

anyone got a book on more analog subjects? like big electronics/high voltage, coils, amplifiers, filters ect. instead of your logic gates and 555 timers

"Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Alexander and Sadiku has stuff about amplifiers and filters. Mostly small scale stuff, but the same theory applies to larger stuff. But thats a very small portion of the book so idk if its really worth it if thats all you want. Most of the book is about circuit analysis. Some books that I haven't read but will have to read eventually for various classes are "Power System Analysis and Design" which would most likely have the high voltage/transformer/coil stuff your looking for. Also "Power Electronics: Converters, Applications, and Design". Keep in mind these are college books meant to be used with a professor, so they can be hard to self-teach with

+1 on the ARRL Handbook. I've got a few of those. Most recent is from 2009, going back every few years to 1956.

"Evil Genius" series books from McGraw Hill/TAB are good.

Forrest Mims books are stil available from Radio Shack. Find the local RS store that mostly caters to the techies in your area.

The series of books from MAKE: are good too. They just came out with one on basic electronics. "Making Things Talk" is a must-have.

Definitely check out the ARRL Handbook for radio-related circuits.

You might check out Forrest M. Mims' "Engineer's Mini-Notebook" series, for an introduction to basic electronics. They used to be sold at Radio Shack, when Radio Shack carried components and such, but IIRC they're out of print so you'll have to find them used. They're also available on the Internet, though I'm not sure how legal scanning and distributing them is. I've got copies of more or less the entire series -- if you're interested in them, and can't find them elsewhere, PM me.

those are great. i got those back in highschool.. i was learning how to work on planes and during the summer i would read those..... i have 3 i think.... idk if he made more books though..... im in school for electro-mechanical engineering and a good study book i picked up was made by barron's electronics the easy way fourth edition. isbn-13:978-0-7641-1981-1

and the 2nd isbn is isbn-10:0-7641-1981-8