nintendo1889

Net10 International Long Distance

6 posts in this topic

I just realized that it's free to signup for international long distance with Net10. Apparently they use VOIP on their end from Auris Technology. The first thing that clued me in on voip was the limited number of countries.

Here's the info  pasted from their site in case the link changes or goes down, (Also the bolded text below is another hint at their voip usage, imho. anyone else dial internationally? do you have similar outages?)

Call Your Country Directly From Your NET10 Phone 

For ONLY 5¢ per minute plus airtime!NO credit checks

NO activation fees

NO monthly charges

NO PINs or cards to buy

NO contracts

NO need for credit cards or additional purchases

Airtime will be deducted at the international rate from the moment in which a call is attempted. International long distance calls usually experience connection failures more frequently than long distance calls within the United States. NET10 will not credit airtime deducted in attempts to place calls which are not successful.

How to dial internationally from a NET10:

From NET10 Nokia models DIAL 1-800-584-7652.

From all other NET10 models DIAL * 1 and the “send” key or dial 1-800-584-7652.

SELECT language (1-English, 2-Spanish). Listen to dialing instructions.

DIAL 011 + country code + city code + telephone number. (For Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada and Dominican Republic just dial: 1 + city code + telephone number).

Note: Please wait to be connected; DO NOT press any other key on your NET10 or your call might be disconnected.

For more information please click here

I imagine someone enterprising enough   :wink:  could change their caller-id to that of a Nokia Net10 phone (assuming they signed up for ILD, or you hacked their net10.com account). Simply changing your Caller-id with spoofcard, telespoof, etc... wouldn't be enough because when dialing toll-free numbers it's impossible to block your caller-id with *67 (don't believe me? try blocking your number from 800-279-5032). Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and way out of my league, spouting off nonsense. 

Edited by nintendo1889

yea i have seen the 5 cent (plus airtime usage) for international calls on net 10 phone packaging and/or the website... not sure which one... but since i have no need to make international calls i never payed much attention to it..

why do they require you do dial an access number, couldn't they just route all of there international calls however they feel fit with out the need of an access number, or are they allowing you to make international calls from any phone using your account?

i have a stack of used up LG300 phones that are pretty useless... bought them when they were on sale for $25, since they came with $30 worth of calling credit...

they are great for scanning, because you can see on the screen if any minutes are used or not (so you know if the number you called supervises or not)

yea i have seen the 5 cent (plus airtime usage) for international calls on net 10 phone packaging and/or the website... not sure which one... but since i have no need to make international calls i never payed much attention to it..

why do they require you do dial an access number, couldn't they just route all of there international calls however they feel fit with out the need of an access number, or are they allowing you to make international calls from any phone using your account?

i have a stack of used up LG300 phones that are pretty useless... bought them when they were on sale for $25, since they came with $30 worth of calling credit...

they are great for scanning, because you can see on the screen if any minutes are used or not (so you know if the number you called supervises or not)

yeah, heh. you should probably sell them on eBay. I haven't seen a 'generic' firmware for the 300g so they probably can't be reprogrammed for another network. They must have been manufactured purely for Net10.

Something I wonder about these phones, is it possible to dump the sms messages off of them without being charged? I know they are stored on the phone, and you don't get charged until you read it.

I should get one of those nokia usb cables and see if wammu can read them.http://wammu.eu/

Another thing, I noticed I could dial international long distance without having to sign up first  :wink:

jackpot

the phones are sold in blister packs... i did attempt to open a few of them as unnoticeable as possible so that i could try to return them once they were used up.. but have not tried that yet...

as for selling them on ebay.. what is the point.. why would someone buy a used LG300 when a new one cost $30 and comes with $30 in calling credit..

even the places that you can recycle your old cell phones for cash or store credit don't give you anything for recycling this phone...

haven't done any text messaging with these things really... since my only use for them was to hand scan numbers so far... they are good for scanning since the screen tells you how many minutes you have left, and you can tell if a number supervises or not based on if any minutes were taken from your account...

When I need a phone too use on the fly, I have a Net10, but I do find the service to be kinda crap. Dropped calls, and I swear they take minutes whenever they want! But for a pre-paid, it does what it is supposed too do!

Simply changing your Caller-id with spoofcard, telespoof, etc... wouldn't be enough because when dialing toll-free numbers it's impossible to block your caller-id with *67 (don't believe me? try blocking your number from 800-279-5032). Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and way out of my league, spouting off nonsense.

Well, technically, yeah. Toll-free customers are supposed to receive privacy bits, but they're also supposed to receive ANI of some form along with it. You'd be surprised how many people don't know this. Back when I talked to NOC technicians about troubles like this on a semi-frequent basis, I'd have to frequently call in and tell competitive carriers why stripping privacy bits on toll-free traffic is a horrible, horrible idea, and it'd always be met with some form of HURR TOLLFREE DONT HAS PRIVACY BITZ LOL.