Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PirateKing15

Accidentally Moved /usr/bin -- HELP!!!

5 posts in this topic

Hello again everyone. Some of you may have seen my post about programming a few days ago. Well I took Aghaster's advice to switch to Linux primarily. I have already done so much to my operating system. I don't feel like doing a re-install. I messed a command up and instead of copying something into my bin folder, I copied my bin folder out. Is there any way I can get it back without a re-install? I tried sudo copying it back but sudo was missing obviously. Well I accidentally closed bash and then it wouldn't open back up. So I went to tty and tried to cd into the bin folder to move it but now it's complaining it needs python. I don't really see why. But anyway, can anyone help me? Can I boot onto the CD and copy the folder over from there?

EDIT: I really need to start thinking before I post nonsensical things. :P I remembered that I didn't have the live CD. So I again thought I was screwed. Well I just used the 'Repair Broken System' bash. This post can be deleted unless anyone thinks it may come in handy for someone on google someday. I tried googling it before I came here and found nothing useful.

Edited by L33T_j0sH

Hello again everyone. Some of you may have seen my post about programming a few days ago. Well I took Aghaster's advice to switch to Linux primarily. I have already done so much to my operating system. I don't feel like doing a re-install. I messed a command up and instead of copying something into my bin folder, I copied my bin folder out. Is there any way I can get it back without a re-install? I tried sudo copying it back but sudo was missing obviously. Well I accidentally closed bash and then it wouldn't open back up. So I went to tty and tried to cd into the bin folder to move it but now it's complaining it needs python. I don't really see why. But anyway, can anyone help me? Can I boot onto the CD and copy the folder over from there?

EDIT: I really need to start thinking before I post nonsensical things. :P I remembered that I didn't have the live CD. So I again thought I was screwed. Well I just used the 'Repair Broken System' bash. This post can be deleted unless anyone thinks it may come in handy for someone on google someday. I tried googling it before I came here and found nothing useful.

I did the same thing on accident under the root account once on a dedicated server, I called up tech support, they laughed at me and said they have to do a re-install. Luckily they did it for free since they felt bad. I wish they would have used that option so I didn't have to re-write all my scripts. :[

Just use the full path to sudo and mv if it's no longer within your path since you moved the directory, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to fix this. And if for some reason you still can't get it to work just boot up to a live cd, mount the drive, and move it that way. You'll use the livecd's userland so there should be no path issues.

Just use the full path to sudo and mv if it's no longer within your path since you moved the directory, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to fix this. And if for some reason you still can't get it to work just boot up to a live cd, mount the drive, and move it that way. You'll use the livecd's userland so there should be no path issues.

I didn't have the livecd. I just used the repair console on the alternate installer disk. It worked just fine. But like I said, I tried using the full path to sudo and move and for some reason it complained about python not being in it's proper place. Which struck me as odd. But anyway, it's fixed now. And I got the WoW server running for my bro. xD

I didn't have the livecd. I just used the repair console on the alternate installer disk. It worked just fine. But like I said, I tried using the full path to sudo and move and for some reason it complained about python not being in it's proper place. Which struck me as odd. But anyway, it's fixed now. And I got the WoW server running for my bro. xD

I didn't mean that you needed the live cd for that distro, all you need is some kind of live environment that you can boot into rather than your installed operating system.