Guest random hero 421

RAM Sharing fo' Graphics

11 posts in this topic

The computer I'm using had integrated video (which relies on my DDR SDRAM) so I bought a 32MB PCI card so I could use all of my RAM. Once I installed it and went to BIOS to get rid of the integrated video's memory, it wouldn't let me go lower than 8MB. So 8MB of my RAM is wasted on an integrated graphics adaper I don't use. Is there a tweak or something that can disable my integrated graphics altogether and let me use all of my RAM?

Thanks a bunch,

-Random

Your BIOS should have an option for disabling the onboard graphics controller altogether.

Edited by greystatic

There should be a jumper you can set to do this; I suggest you look at your motherboards manual.

Bah, I am poor and use a Compaq Presario 6000 and it's a generic mobo. It didn't come with a manual. And the BIOS will let you disable it, but the RAM will still be shared for "video".

I hate pre-made computers so much.

-Random

The great thing about most 'pre built' systems is that the hardware can sometimes be generic to keep costs down; have you tries looking up the mobo by using its bios data as a reference?

What type of bios is it? Award? Phoenix? Any serial numbers show up on boot?

Presarios have a jumper. And they won't really tell you where it is. I used to work for their support, and alot of their techs are too stupid to be able to walk you through this (even though it's stupidly easy). But I worked for 'em about 2.5 years ago, and I don't know anything about that particular series of presario, so disregard my blatent attempt to make myself feel better by sharing utterly pointless information. Move along.

my 2 cents:

usually the jumper to disable the intigrated video is to the left of the mother board either by the pci slots or farther up more towards the integrated video jack. Usually the Sound jumper is there also if there is one.

i have two thoughts about this....

1. this isnt going in the bios, this is going be a jumper on the mobo itself good luck finding it your self, ir beating it's lication out of some happless tech support bitch....

this sucks if you cant find t3h jumper.... i spent 3 days on this oncer with a packard hell...

2. get your self another monitor and plug the bastard into your onboard, and practise explaining to people that you need 2 monitors cause you are such a baddass muthafucker..... :devil: :borg: :ranaway:

1. this isnt going in the bios, this is going be a jumper on the mobo itself good luck finding it your self, ir beating it's lication out of some happless tech support bitch....

this sucks if you cant find t3h jumper.... i spent 3 days on this oncer with a packard hell...

Hehe, if in doubt you could methodically jumper each setting one by one and test what they do... :ninja:

Except that motherboards are required by law to have a kill jumper that bypasses all resistors and delivers a direct charge from your wall to your chip, frying it instantly.

Edited by Zeigenfus

Except that motherboards are required by law to have a kill jumper that bypasses all resistors and delivers a direct charge from your wall to your chip, frying it instantly.

wow, that's awesome, never knew about that, any links as to reasons why this law is in place?!