Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hexzhen

Some Phone Phreaking Questions

3 posts in this topic

Sup people.

Im completely new to phone phreaking, so I just wanted to get some help.

1: Where should I get started and what should I know - I know that that question kinda sounds vague, but I'd just like to know as a beginner where I should... begin. Are there any essential ebooks, tutorials or guides that I should familiarize myself with?

2: Is it possible to make a free call from a voIP to a cell phone in another country?

3: Any other heads up from pros or anyone else more experienced? - I know as a beginner, I may be asking the wrong questions or may have overlooked some important ones. So basically I would really appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks for any information.

Freedom.

Sup people.

Im completely new to phone phreaking, so I just wanted to get some help.

1: Where should I get started and what should I know - I know that that question kinda sounds vague, but I'd just like to know as a beginner where I should... begin. Are there any essential ebooks, tutorials or guides that I should familiarize myself with?

2: Is it possible to make a free call from a voIP to a cell phone in another country?

3: Any other heads up from pros or anyone else more experienced? - I know as a beginner, I may be asking the wrong questions or may have overlooked some important ones. So basically I would really appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks for any information.

Freedom.

If i were to start over I would have just explored more than read. I read a lot and simply forgot most of it since it dealt with a lot of acronyms and the like. By exploring, I mean calling a LOT of numbers and just finding cool things. If you do it right and fully absorb yourself in what you have a passion for you will learn most of the technical stuff along the way. I don't think there is an eBook about Phreaking, unless it is very dated.

You can also learn by simulation.. like the Project MF community. They used Linux to simulate old phone technology that allowed you to "phreak" from your home phone line with blue-boxes, like back in the tim of old. You can also do some phreaking right from your Nintendo DS (if you have one) by learning about payphone phreaking http://weaknetlabs.com/code/DS/payphoneds - I would also spend more time listening to the Phone Trips here: ftp://ftp.wideweb.com/GroupBell/ They are good quality and the narrator tells you exactly how the old phone system worked along the way.

For newer stuff, i recommend maybe reading O'reilly books on VoIP or Asterisk (the software PBX (answering machine / switching system)). Maybe even learn more about the languages used while designing those applications so you can hack them even further. Try finding local hacker-spaces in your area too, or 2600 meetings where you can mingle and talk with people who are also into phreaking.

That's where I'd start.

Hey thank you very much for advice.

I learn faster the hands on way too, so I guess I'll just have to start playing around. Still, do you (or anyone else) know of any good books on modern Telecommunications and Networks, thats just cause I'm actually considering studying it.

But anyways, thanks again.

Freedom.

Edited by Hexzen