Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jada64

Acer laptop wont run a live disk

7 posts in this topic

I have an extensa 5420 and I am trying to boot the newest version of backtrack on it. I tried 2 different ISO's that were downloaded from the official backtrack site. It gets to the options screen and when it boots, it just hangs, everytime. Am I retarded or does this laptop just not like backtrack?

It gets to the options screen and when it boots, it just hangs, everytime.

Did you try another LiveCD/Distro?

It could be that the Xorg is crashing with your video card, is there an option to select VESA at boot prompt? Does text mode boot work OK?

Try a memory check (Ubuntu CD or UBCD).

Could be that CD drive is toast, I have a T21 which a knackered drive which won't boot from external USB CD. So I have to start boot on internal and then eject that just after kernel is loaded...it can then proceed to load from USB CD.

Mungewell.

I have an extensa 5420 and I am trying to boot the newest version of backtrack on it. I tried 2 different ISO's that were downloaded from the official backtrack site. It gets to the options screen and when it boots, it just hangs, everytime. Am I retarded or does this laptop just not like backtrack?

What did you select at the options screen? Does the screen refresh/flicker before it hangs? Try booting off backtrack on a usb stick.

It gets to the options screen and when it boots, it just hangs, everytime.

Did you try another LiveCD/Distro?

It could be that the Xorg is crashing with your video card, is there an option to select VESA at boot prompt? Does text mode boot work OK?

Try a memory check (Ubuntu CD or UBCD).

Could be that CD drive is toast, I have a T21 which a knackered drive which won't boot from external USB CD. So I have to start boot on internal and then eject that just after kernel is loaded...it can then proceed to load from USB CD.

Mungewell.

As Mugewell said I would try another LiveCD\Distro see if you get the same problem and try booting into text mode.

Sorry for the long delay, I have been busy, Ill download ubuntu and see what happens.

The screen didnt flicker or anything, it starts to scroll the text and just locks up.

I tried 2 different versions of backtrack

MY old Thinkpad had the same problems; try disabling ACPI and/or Hot-plugging. I cannot tell you how to do it, but most live distros have boot options that can be passed before booting. Google is your friend!

MY old Thinkpad had the same problems; try disabling ACPI and/or Hot-plugging. I cannot tell you how to do it, but most live distros have boot options that can be passed before booting. Google is your friend!

Thanks, Ill look into it.