Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brillo

Cain nd Abel Sniffer troubles

5 posts in this topic

Installed Cain and Abel yesterday, but im having trouble with the sniffer..

I've gone over all the settings watched nearly every damn video on youtube, read near every feed on most forums going still nothing.

I'm getting the wireless network using the wireless tab, then I go over to the sniffer it brings up nothing at all. I know there's no problem with the adapter because i'm receiving packets from the same network when I was using Backtrack.

Any ideas???

cheers in advance

Installed Cain and Abel yesterday, but im having trouble with the sniffer..

I've gone over all the settings watched nearly every damn video on youtube, read near every feed on most forums going still nothing.

I'm getting the wireless network using the wireless tab, then I go over to the sniffer it brings up nothing at all. I know there's no problem with the adapter because i'm receiving packets from the same network when I was using Backtrack.

Any ideas???

cheers in advance

Sometimes with Cain and Abel you can have everything correct in your settings, and still have some problems.

As a personal example.

I have a Dell 140m that I use for testing with domain security. It has Windows XP SP3 on it, and an Athuros 5XXX mini PCI wireless card. When I tried running Cain and Abel on it (When it was on a workgroup) it did crap. No ARP injection, cannot see anything in the network, nothing. It worked on the network, it could get to the Internet, it could see other systems I had setup to test it on, but it would not work with Cain and Abel. It turns out that CA does not support that hardware. So the computer is crap with CA (but lucky that is not what I used it for).

Best bet would try CA on another computer and see your results on that.

I tried Cain and Abel on another laptop I had laying around (HP DV-6000) and it work like a champ.

To get to the point, I think it would be hardware.

Hope this helps.

You need promiscuous mode drivers for your WiFi card. The only chipsets I've found that do this on WiFi are Prism2.5 and Broadccom. This card is awesome; and will work great, and even has a built in RF amp for great reception with an external antenna. Aircrack-ng claims it will inject too, but I've never tried it, yet.

I think injection only works with Airpcap Drivers, and a Cace Airpcap adapter is needed for those drivers.

EDIT: if you go into the advanced settings and deselect promiscuous mode sniffing you may still be able to use an ARP ping to enumerate the subnet. Still, no sniffing though. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't; just depends on the drivers for your wifi card.

Edited by tekio

Buffalo Airstation G54 (The card you had in the link)

Have you verified this card to use with Windows in promiscuous mode?

I have cards that work wonders in Linux, but are hard to get them to do what I want them to do in Windows (I have one card that works perfectly, but it is about to die).

I think injection only works with Airpcap Drivers, and a Cace Airpcap adapter is needed for those drivers.

Correct If I remember right.

Buffalo Airstation G54 (The card you had in the link)

Have you verified this card to use with Windows in promiscuous mode?

I have cards that work wonders in Linux, but are hard to get them to do what I want them to do in Windows (I have one card that works perfectly, but it is about to die).

Correct If I remember right.

Yes it does do promiscuous mode in Windows XP (untested with Vista or Windows 7, not even sure if they made Vista drivers for it.). Just make double sure it has the Broadcom chipset; to my knowledge all of them do.

The complete model number of mine is: WLI-CB-G54HP. There are a few different Airstation 54G cards out there. It is an awesome card, my favorite one.

Edited by tekio