Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dinscurge

problem getting iwconfig to work with wpa2 key

7 posts in this topic

basically having problems on my ghetto slackware install. its slack13 which has ath5k drivers so it does work with my netbook, is not the drivers as far as i know, i did

iwconfig wlan0 essid "example"
iwconfig wlan0 key "nnnn-nnnn(whatever its the key converted to hex because iwconfig doesnt work aparantly; with a string)"

the card is in managed mode, still not connecting probly some stupid error i did. i did on multiple occasions, "ifconfig wlan0 down(/up)" also the essid/key. it may be driver issues idk.

basically having problems on my ghetto slackware install. its slack13 which has ath5k drivers so it does work with my netbook, is not the drivers as far as i know, i did

iwconfig wlan0 essid "example"
iwconfig wlan0 key "nnnn-nnnn(whatever its the key converted to hex because iwconfig doesnt work aparantly; with a string)"

the card is in managed mode, still not connecting probly some stupid error i did. i did on multiple occasions, "ifconfig wlan0 down(/up)" also the essid/key. it may be driver issues idk.

You will need to use wpa_supplicant for the wpa2 key, iwconfig does not support this.

Edited by schippystrich

-.- it would help if i was using the right program. thanks. ill try

All newer distros should come preconfigured with a wpa_supplicant. IF you are entering the key in ascii try:

iwconfig wlan0 key "s:the key here"

I believe the syntax is correct for ascii, but you may want check the manual to be sure.

EDIT: i think iwconfig can set up a wpa2 key just as the GUI network app in Gnome does.

Edited by tekio

All newer distros should come preconfigured with a wpa_supplicant. IF you are entering the key in ascii try:

I believe the syntax is correct for ascii, but you may want check the manual to be sure.

EDIT: i think iwconfig can set up a wpa2 key just as the GUI network app in Gnome does.

Yes, the syntax is correct minus the quotes.

But it doesn't matter because iwconfig does not support wpa2.

I have not looked at the Gnome network app but I am sure it integrates wpa_supplicant.

Also dinscurge, use the link rocky provided.

That should solve your problems.

Edited by schippystrich

Yes, the syntax is correct minus the quotes.

But it doesn't matter because iwconfig does not support wpa2.

I have not looked at the Gnome network app but I am sure it integrates wpa_supplicant.

Also dinscurge, use the link rocky provided.

That should solve your problems.

I got iwconfig mixed up with iwpriv command... I use quotes because my key had a space. :P