knowthelies

XP LOGIN WITHOUT KEYBOARD (usb)

13 posts in this topic

Hello. First time poster here. I seem to have a problem with no solution.

I am doing some work on a friends computer who is out of town for a week. His computer does not have a ps/2 keyboard. I am curious if there is a way to use USB to my advantage. Is there a way to create something bootable that can input password for me? I can use on screen KB or maxivista through the LAN.

Thanks in advance.

ps. I don't have a million dollars and even if I did, I wouldn't want to buy another thing I'll end up tripping over.

Edited by PocketChange

I am curious if there is a way to use USB to my advantage. Is there a way to create something bootable that can input password for me?

Interesting concept.... and yes it would be moderately easy to have a USB device pretend to be a keyboard and throw some characters out. This is pretty much what the 'ubikey' security dongle does. Should be doable with a small micro running as a USB slave.

However, if you need to log in then you will need a pre-determined username/password pair. It might just be easier to 'attack' the auto-run function to start the OSK. If autorun is disabled, I wonder what other methods there are at getting OSK up and running.... why not just plug in a real keyboard?

If you have IP access to the machine, why not just enable remote desktop....

Mungewell.

Firewire spec mandates DMA. If the box has firewire, you can use already existing tools to modify WinLogon.exe to allow login without a password.

So what's with the barcode avatars? I'm seeing them everywhere now.

use Kon-boot this manipulates windows kernel , by that you just have to click on the icon :),if the welcome screen isn't active i hope for you Lastactiveuser reg key isnt disabled ;)

LMFAO okay, so do they know what a barcode scanner even does?? it reads input from lines, like 7bits each er something right? Im talking about the traditional barcodes.. whatever. it takes in the lines which are translated by the scanner into ASCII and sent out through the USB cable to the system with a trailing newline.

you can go to the WASP website and make a free barcode out of any words you want to, thus using pieces of paper with printed barcodes [use a printer at a library] and a $70 scanner for a keyboard.

Is that why you said that? cos neither of them said to do that?

LMFAO okay, so do they know what a barcode scanner even does?? it reads input from lines, like 7bits each er something right? Im talking about the traditional barcodes.. whatever. it takes in the lines which are translated by the scanner into ASCII and sent out through the USB cable to the system with a trailing newline.

you can go to the WASP website and make a free barcode out of any words you want to, thus using pieces of paper with printed barcodes [use a printer at a library] and a $70 scanner for a keyboard.

Uhh thanks, but I think we know what barcodes are.

Edited by chown

That wasn't directed to you at all.. can you not read as well?

You quoted me and wrote a reply beneath, that generally signifies a direct response

You quoted me and wrote a reply beneath, that generally signifies a direct response

I thought that you were tacitly implying that they [others in posts with barcodes as avatars] were missing an obvious solution [that was in their avatars]. See how I say "so do 'they' know what a barcode" and "Is that why you said that? cos neither of them said to do that?"

:P It wasn't directed towards you at all - your comment could have been taken in a different way, that's all.

Edited by trevelyn

Pretty much a huge security issue, but it would be pretty elite. If this is possible, I will be programming something very, very soon.

of course its possible. i mean you could use usb to hijack a linux/bsd/opensolaris computer as well i mean if you wanted to custom write drivers/fake interface to make it a "keyboard" and have it type in any text you want. e.g. you could use a microprocessor as a keyboard by writing it so it appears to have the same interface as some common usb keyboard, maybe add a list of usernames/passwords w.e. it would work on any computer which has the drivers for said keyboard it would still fake keyboard input. you could do it with ps2 minidin2 also it would probably be much easier on the latter 2 as it would be much easier to "discover" which pins connect on the interface for a ps2/minidin2 connector than it would a usb keyboard.

edit: it wouldnt work on any os, you have to be able to log in with only the keyboard but with the tab/enter/return/arrow keys thats most/all of them.

Edited by dinscurge