Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KoolAide187

Wireless bridge question.

5 posts in this topic

Does anybody know anything about wireless bridges?

I was wondering because there is a huge wireless network in my little town and my wireless router always picks it up. We use to use this network before it started sucking really bad. I am wondering... if I spoof my mac address would that allow me to automatically connect to this wireless network? Or what would I have to have to connect to this? Do I need a wireless bridge to connect? I never had to type a password in to connect before but I had some of this guys equipment which was a wireless bridge he said. But what I am really wondering is... if I can see this wireless network from my laptop shouldn't I be able to connect to it too? Possibly by spoofing somebody elses mac address that is associated with it?

Does anybody know anything about wireless bridges?

A wireless bridge provides two or more physically (but not logically) separate network segments with access to each other.

I am wondering... if I spoof my mac address would that allow me to automatically connect to this wireless network?

No.

Or what would I have to have to connect to this?

Presumably, a pre-shared key or some other form of authentication. But you haven't told us what sort of security they have on this thing, so we can't say anything to be certain.

Do I need a wireless bridge to connect? I never had to type a password in to connect before but I had some of this guys equipment which was a wireless bridge he said. But what I am really wondering is...

I don't understand. Did you connect to this guy's wireless bridge, which in turn provided you with access to the AP that you're trying to connect to now?

if I can see this wireless network from my laptop shouldn't I be able to connect to it too?

Uh....no?

Possibly by spoofing somebody elses mac address that is associated with it?

I don't know where you get the idea that all wireless security can be broken by spoofing a MAC address, but no.

Mine:

Or what would I have to have to connect to this?

Spyril:

Presumably, a pre-shared key or some other form of authentication. But you haven't told us what sort of security they have on this thing, so we can't say anything to be certain.

Well there is no WEP or WPA encryption of any kind. It is just an open connection that gets picked up by airodump. As soon as this AP or...wireless bridge is picked up, it shows it has about 10 associated clients connected to it.

Mine:

Do I need a wireless bridge to connect? I never had to type a password in to connect before but I had some of this guys equipment which was a wireless bridge he said. But what I am really wondering is...

Spyril:

I don't understand. Did you connect to this guy's wireless bridge, which in turn provided you with access to the AP that you're trying to connect to now?

No We use to buy service through this guy. He setup a wireless bridge or some sort of antenna at our house but I don't ever remember seeing any sort of cable box that it went through.(Nor did we have to type in a password) I think it was basically just what he said... a bridge. I don't know for sure how a bridge is any different because it still works on a wifi signal.

I remember asking him if I had a laptop would I be able to connect to his wireless router through it and he said no because it's a bridge. I never saw what the difference was because if I can see his bridge/AP then I would figure I could connect to it.

Mine:

Possibly by spoofing somebody elses mac address that is associated with it?

Spyril:

I don't know where you get the idea that all wireless security can be broken by spoofing a MAC address, but no.

Well in some cases where you don't have to type in an encryption key such as connecting to a pay per surf hotspot you can hijack people's connection from them if you have a better signal or just surf along side of them with dual MAC addresses. I kind of thought maybe this could be the same instance... but like I said that's why I came here for help cause I don't know anything about wireless bridges.

If it's configured to just act as a bridge then it's probably not accepting association requests. The traffic you're seeing is probably originating either from the wired LAN that's connected to said bridge, or from the sister bridge. If nothing is encrypted then it may be possible to pretend to be the other bridge. Not sure the specifics of how to do this, though.

If it's configured to just act as a bridge then it's probably not accepting association requests. The traffic you're seeing is probably originating either from the wired LAN that's connected to said bridge, or from the sister bridge. If nothing is encrypted then it may be possible to pretend to be the other bridge. Not sure the specifics of how to do this, though.

Alright well I appreciate the help. It's opened my eyes a little more than they were.