Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SigFLUP

bittorrent vs my isp

7 posts in this topic

So my isp finally is blocking bittorrent traffic :( Any suggestions on what to use to obfuscate by torrent traffic from my isp? I'm not going to use tor for this, of course. What do you people use?

Edited by SigFLUP

Does your bittorrent client pick a nonstandard, randomized port and force full stream encryption?

Does your bittorrent client pick a nonstandard, randomized port and force full stream encryption?

Not sure. Does yours? What client are you using?

ok, reading rtorrent documentation it looks like it does support encryption. However, and forgive my I don't know too much about the actual bittorrent protocol, it does offer the ability to change listening ports. I'm seeing nothing yet for connecting ports. If I where to use a client with non-standard ports what ports are popular?

ok, reading rtorrent documentation it looks like it does support encryption. However, and forgive my I don't know too much about the actual bittorrent protocol, it does offer the ability to change listening ports. I'm seeing nothing yet for connecting ports. If I where to use a client with non-standard ports what ports are popular?

Use uTorrent.

Does your ISP block just the .torrent file, or does it block traffic altogether?

If the only problem is connecting to the traffic, use Txtor. Simple solution to a very primitive approach that many institutions/ISP's try.

If you can connect to the tracker but not download anything, pick random ports and force encryption in uTorrent. If worst comes to worst and you're dealing with packet filtering, look into a VPN service.

A few of the methods of Sandvine/etc to blocking torrent traffic:

• Sending RST packets, to interrupt traffic-flow; get around this by filtering for RST on your torrent port, if not simply all-together.
    Caveat - you can only defend your source network against this, unless you control both networks or end-hosts.
    - Using iptables in *Nix: -A INPUT -p tcp --dport <torrent-port> --tcp-flags RST RST -j DROP)
    - Using IPFW in *Nix or WIPFW in Win: add deny tcp from any to me <torrent-port> tcpflags rst
    - Using a Cisco Router: access-list 100 deny any any eq <torrent-port> rst ! this is the best solution, if you have a choice block on the network
  • Sending from spoofed addresses or avoiding illicit monitoring; block all RFC reserved address-spaces and anything in the PeerGuardian/Peerblock and other lists, use automatic updates and imports.
  • Sending corrupted packets; set your torrent client to automatically block peers that consistently fail hash checks.
  • Blocking/throttling torrent communication with the tracker or peers;
    - dns blocking; use an unfiltered dns server like 4.2.2.1
    - url-filtering, ip-filtering, port filtering; use a proxy, and if necessary trackerless DHT+PeerExchange
    - RC4 encryption can be set to 'enabled, disabled or forced' in most newer clients
  • Blocking actual '.torrent' downloads; (either the urls ending in .torrent or inspecting traffic for '.torrent' signatures, mainly 'd8:announce')
    - some sites have responded to this by allowing you to download the torrent files as .txt, or compressing them in zip/rar/tar
    - you can always grab the .torrent from a proxy like the one listed above, and then download normally

Your best bet is still to get an out-of-country seedbox, and then download everything via SSH.