JmanA9

Op-Divert through Google Voice!

63 posts in this topic

Dunno why, but when I dial *67 before I call my Google Voice number from my registered phone, I can't op-divert. All that happens is I get my GV account and it asks for my PIN.

On the web account, it won't let me place calls with *67 prefacing the digits.

I can, however, make a call from the web to 1-800-444-4444 and it reads off my GV number (I can use this though when I need to call a toll-free number but I don't want them to have my actual number, so it's good to know).

Doesn't it work anymore? Now I'm wondering what's up.

It does work. Call your GV number with *67, then press * and enter your PIN. Then press 2 and enter your number followed by the # sign.

Thanks. <my bad>

Edited by resistor X

Even with the ANI as 404-260-5532 it is great for privacy. All the toll free number owner can find out is that the caller is using google voice and dialing out from voicemail after dialing with caller ID blocked, and that is provided that the toll free number owner bothers to google it and finds this thread.

Of course there are tons of voip providers that offer free termination to toll free numbers, without even having an account. I remember there was a large list of them somewhere but can't find it off-hand.

off the top of my head i know that skype and gizmo5 offer free termination to toll free numbers with out needing calling credit...

yes the 404-260-5532 is good for privacy.. but not as good as the 585, because with the 585 you could op-divert and get an operator to change your ANI making you pretty much bullet proof.... but with the ANI set as 404-260-5532 your calls would all be traced back to google, and under the right (or perhaps wrong) circumstances the information about who made the call could be subpoenaed from google...

EDIT: does GV use ANI to verify the number you are calling from? i have it where i do not need to enter my password if calling from my cell phone, but other calls need to enter the password... i called my GV number from my cell just now with *67 and did not need to enter my password... i dialed an ANAC number to be sure that my CID was blocked and i did get the 404-260-5532 number, so i assume that they are using ANI to verify the number that you are calling from and not just CID... if that is the case, and this is possible with out a toll free number, then why are cellular VMB's not using ANI and are vulnerable to spoofing hacks?

I think they use CPN and disregard the privacy bit. Try caller ID spoofing to confirm this.

Edit: Comment deleted.

Edited by resistor X

I found the list of voip providers offering free toll free termination. http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Toll+Free+Termination+Providers

Of course once you can dial toll free, you can use 800-FREE-411 or 800-980-PHAD to get some free calling, provided your willing to put up with 30 sec of ads first. Still useful for the few (conf) numbers that google voice blocks. Or you can just use a calling card... laugh.gif

I found the list of voip providers offering free toll free termination. http://www.voip-info...ation+Providers

Of course once you can dial toll free, you can use 800-FREE-411 or 800-980-PHAD to get some free calling, provided your willing to put up with 30 sec of ads first. Still useful for the few (conf) numbers that google voice blocks. Or you can just use a calling card... laugh.gif

FWIW, most payphone block 800-goog-411. I'm betting the FCC would be interested in knowing that.

Anyone know a good toll-free service which I can forward point at my Google Voice number? I use around 30 hours/1800 minutes a month on the phone in my business.

FWIW, most payphone block 800-goog-411. I'm betting the FCC would be interested in knowing that.

Anyone know a good toll-free service which I can forward point at my Google Voice number? I use around 30 hours/1800 minutes a month on the phone in my business.

why would the FCC be interested in knowing that goog411 is blocked from payphones?

many toll free operators prevent access to there number from payphones, since they have to pay extra for calls made to them from payphones...

goog411 is an information service, NOT a telephone service, so it is not the same thing as google voice blocking access to many rural CLEC lines that have high termination costs... because google voice MIGHT be considered a telephone service.. that i believe has yet to be determined.. but i assume that since they do not provide SIP termination that they are not truly providing a telephone service, and merely acting in a similar fashion to a calling card on steroids, since you need phone service from another provider to use GV

nyphonejacks has it right, GOOG-411 is blocked from *all* payphones, because Google doesn't want to cough up the cash to pay for unusually high cost of payphone calls. They used to let GOOG-411 be accessed from payphones, but I believe this stopped a year or two ago.

it is back to passing 585 as the ANI info with 1-800-444-4444

with 1-866-my-ani-is it is - 585 0000000

it is back to passing 585 as the ANI info with 1-800-444-4444

with 1-866-my-ani-is it is - 585 0000000

I'm getting a privacy bit, I do get 585 read back when calling MCI. When calling a CNAM readback I get 000 0000 with the company that provides this service.

Yeah I noticed this yesterday when calls to a couple toll free numbers were failing for no reason when I used *67 first... so I called an ANAC and got a real shock :D

It's back to exactly how it used to be,

ANI-II: 00 (POTS)

ANI/BTN: 585

CPN: 585+P

Caller ID: Private

Yeah I noticed this yesterday when calls to a couple toll free numbers were failing for no reason when I used *67 first... so I called an ANAC and got a real shock :D

how do you get the 2 digit ANI-II information?

Yeah I noticed this yesterday when calls to a couple toll free numbers were failing for no reason when I used *67 first... so I called an ANAC and got a real shock D.gif

That's classified! wink.gif

ANACs that read ANI-II are almost unheard of, and die within a few days if made public nowadays.

Yeah I noticed this yesterday when calls to a couple toll free numbers were failing for no reason when I used *67 first... so I called an ANAC and got a real shock D.gif

ANACs that read ANI-II are almost unheard of, and die within a few days if made public nowadays.

so you have an ANAC that provides that info then i assume... i understand that you do not want to publish the information since it could mean that it will go away... just 2 questions, is it a local or toll free access number? and is there any resources online that would be able to provide a similar type look up for the 2 digit code for any given number...

oh... perhaps one more question.. do you know any free online CNAM look ups? closest i could find was num2name.com but every number that i enter the name comes up as unavailable....

so you have an ANAC that provides that info then i assume... i understand that you do not want to publish the information since it could mean that it will go away... just 2 questions, is it a local or toll free access number? and is there any resources online that would be able to provide a similar type look up for the 2 digit code for any given number...

oh... perhaps one more question.. do you know any free online CNAM look ups? closest i could find was num2name.com but every number that i enter the name comes up as unavailable....

It's toll free. I donno about any online lookups for ANI-II for a number, only the NANPA's table of values. And yeah, num2name is pretty buggy, I'm not sure about any other services like it.

My guess is that different results mean different providers. It seems more plausible that Google is changing things, and not their provider changing things. But then again, who knows?

why would the FCC be interested in knowing that goog411 is blocked from payphones?

many toll free operators prevent access to there number from payphones, since they have to pay extra for calls made to them from payphones...

goog411 is an information service, NOT a telephone service, so it is not the same thing as google voice blocking access to many rural CLEC lines that have high termination costs... because google voice MIGHT be considered a telephone service.. that i believe has yet to be determined.. but i assume that since they do not provide SIP termination that they are not truly providing a telephone service, and merely acting in a similar fashion to a calling card on steroids, since you need phone service from another provider to use GV

ah okay, when I posted didn't know that the owner of a toll-free number could block calls from payphones. I have found that goog-411 very recently works on one payphone out of all the ones I've tried it on.

I've that when using the GV click-to-call widget the cid came up as the same 650 number that verifies your phones, and also the original voicemail you get from google (650 265-1193). With being able to setup any number as a temporary forwarding number (eg dial your gv number, menu 4, 4, 2) you could attempt to hide yourself by setting your forwarding number to the calling-card number or whatnot and dialing through the click-to-call widget. But this has the same effect as skunkworks method, eg they can still see that it's google.

It's quite interesting that PennyTalk has decided to slap a 50c charge ontop of every call placed with google voice's "op diversion" feature. I learned this the hard way of course. mad.gif

Anyway, what the heck is causing this? The ANI-II is still 00, which is POTS, and obviously a three digit ANI and CPN mean failure, but usually I'd only think they'd charge you when calling from a payphone, which this obviously isn't.

Possible they are doing this to try and get back at people who op-divert to get around payphone charges? Maybe I should call up their customer support and ask a few questions.

Edit: Verizon/MCI cards and Pingo cards don't do this, looks specific to PennyTalk out of these three cards.

Edited by Skunkworks

It's quite interesting that PennyTalk has decided to slap a 50c charge ontop of every call placed with google voice's "op diversion" feature. I learned this the hard way of course. mad.gif

Anyway, what the heck is causing this? The ANI-II is still 00, which is POTS, and obviously a three digit ANI and CPN mean failure, but usually I'd only think they'd charge you when calling from a payphone, which this obviously isn't.

Possible they are doing this to try and get back at people who op-divert to get around payphone charges? Maybe I should call up their customer support and ask a few questions.

Edit: Verizon/MCI cards and Pingo cards don't do this, looks specific to PennyTalk out of these three cards.

i am curious.. can a toll free owner still be charged for incoming calls with a failed ANI?

i would assume, that they would... but if the ANI is passing as POTS, then they should not be incurring the surcharge that they would if the call was dialed from a payphone..

so... either there is a problem with there billing system getting messed up because of lack of ANI information... or they are just greedy, and trying to take advantage... either way i would like to know what happens when you call there customer service... i personally would play dumb about the ANI failure when talking to them...

Edited by nyphonejacks

Now google voice has totally stopped handling privacy bits properly.

Dialing *67 before calling in now does nothing, your outbound Caller ID isn't even blocked.

I can see why google might want to stop ANI+CPN obfuscation/failure, but to not allow basic Caller ID blocking is pretty insane. My guess is this is probably a mistake and it will return to its previous state of either providing a false ANI+CPN or 585 for both within a week or two with the *67 trick.

After all, you don't need to be a phone phreak to use simple Caller ID blocking, a lot of people are gonna notice this.

Now google voice has totally stopped handling privacy bits properly.

Dialing *67 before calling in now does nothing, your outbound Caller ID isn't even blocked.

I can see why google might want to stop ANI+CPN obfuscation/failure, but to not allow basic Caller ID blocking is pretty insane. My guess is this is probably a mistake and it will return to its previous state of either providing a false ANI+CPN or 585 for both within a week or two with the *67 trick.

After all, you don't need to be a phone phreak to use simple Caller ID blocking, a lot of people are gonna notice this.

same thing happening here... i could also understand them not wanting to fail the ANI, but allowing the CID to pass? that's not right.. trying to dial a star code from google voice comes back as "this is not a valid number" (ex. after pressing 2 to make a call dialing *67-212-555-1212 gets the "this is not a valid number" recording)

i guess they assume if you want to call someone with your number blocked you can do it directly with your phone, and not place the call thru GV.. but what about those people who do not have domestic long distance included in there phone package (there have to still be some people who pay domestic long distance charges)

whatever is going on @ GV they need to pick up the pace with whatever they plan on doing with gizmo5.... i would love to have free in/outgoing SIP calling for my GV number, with out needing to use click to call...

In addition, a huge pool of new numbers seem to have been blocked, including all IPKall numbers, a bunch of VoIP gateway access numbers, and a few free conferences that were previously unblocked. Oddly most free conferences are still unblocked. Also, calls are now randomly refusing to go through on numbers, and going through a few tries later.

I am starting to wonder if these changes are intentional or if someone has screwed up fairly badly in dev. I'm kinda leaning towards that, after all they had the better part of a year to "fix" the ANI+CPN thing and block all the numbers they want, I'd doubt they'd step it up at this point.

2 oddities...

1- i just dialed into my GV number with *67 but unlike in the past when i have done this i needed to press the * when it was ringing and enter my password - but my call waiting did not go off sending the call back to my phone (the only one active on GV right now) - in the past even with *67 GV knew the call was from me and went straight to the menu (normally i have the PW off on this phone)

2- i could not get thru to an ANI number (800-444-4444) it just continued to ring until it busied out.. when calling thru GV with out dialing *67 i was able to get thru.. so i called a number that verifies CID info (804-222-1111) and it read back my number as 000-0000 so i think that ANI fails are back...

any reason why i could not get thru to the ANI number? any one else test this recently?

it also appears that 1-866-my-ani-is is down now... could not get thru with GV or dialing direct... not sure if it is down for good or not... =( i liked having a back up ANI that was easy to remember..

2 oddities...

1- i just dialed into my GV number with *67 but unlike in the past when i have done this i needed to press the * when it was ringing and enter my password - but my call waiting did not go off sending the call back to my phone (the only one active on GV right now) - in the past even with *67 GV knew the call was from me and went straight to the menu (normally i have the PW off on this phone)

2- i could not get thru to an ANI number (800-444-4444) it just continued to ring until it busied out.. when calling thru GV with out dialing *67 i was able to get thru.. so i called a number that verifies CID info (804-222-1111) and it read back my number as 000-0000 so i think that ANI fails are back...

any reason why i could not get thru to the ANI number? any one else test this recently?

it also appears that 1-866-my-ani-is is down now... could not get thru with GV or dialing direct... not sure if it is down for good or not... =( i liked having a back up ANI that was easy to remember..

Damn, you're right. 866-myaniis is down. I hope it doesn't stay that way.

I also ran into this earlier today. Turns out, I can't call *any* toll-free numbers if I call GV with *67, regardless of its carrier. After many tries, I eventually got through to Tell-Me, but I couldn't get it to go through again. If I dial my GV number without blocking my caller id, toll-free calls go through just fine, and pass my GV as the ANI.

Knowing Google's track record with this sort of thing, this situation may not last very long. I hope it doesn't.

It seems that if I block caller ID when calling GV, I can call many toll free numbers including 800-555-tell, but not MCI or 800 operator. When I call the ANAC (804) 222-1111 mentioned above, I get "000-0000". If I dial my GV without blocking caller ID, I can again call MCI's ANAC, and also dial 800 operator. the 804 ANAC then reads off the last seven digits of my GV number.

Also, if I instead dial the 804 ANAC directly, dialing *67 does not change the announcement of the seven-digit phone number.

It seems that if I block caller ID when calling GV, I can call many toll free numbers including 800-555-tell, but not MCI or 800 operator. When I call the ANAC (804) 222-1111 mentioned above, I get "000-0000". If I dial my GV without blocking caller ID, I can again call MCI's ANAC, and also dial 800 operator. the 804 ANAC then reads off the last seven digits of my GV number.

Also, if I instead dial the 804 ANAC directly, dialing *67 does not change the announcement of the seven-digit phone number.

shit i never called the 804 number with a blocked number directly... it is not supposed to be an ANAC it supposed to read back what is on the CID display also, it will do DMTF tests, if you press a key it will repeat back the digit you pressed...

i found that number at testcall.com i never thought to try it with a blocked number...