Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cyberstu

Is the Ping of death obselete???

6 posts in this topic

Hey all, I was bored on my course earlier, so I tried sending a ping of death on Windows Server 2003. However it wouldnt let me ping anymore than 655000 bytes I think it was, dont quote me on the exat amount. I was just wondering if there was anyway I could fool Windows into thinking I was sending ;ess bytes than I actually am. Its just that reinstalling windows over and over again gets pretty boring and we have a few machines with no-one using them so Im using them for experimental purposes.

According to wikipedia about the ping of death:

This exploit has affected a wide variety of systems, including Unix, Linux, Mac, Windows, printers, and routers. However, most systems since 1997-1998 have been fixed, so this bug is mostly historical.

The only windows I know that was affected by this is an unpatched Windows 95 OS.

So even if you send a 65,536 byte ping packet it doesn't do anything anymore.

Glad you told me that. Cant believe I spent about an hour messing around with the ping command and writing batch files for nothing, lol.

I think I read an article about the Ping of Death re-appearing in one of the beta builds of Windows 7 or in Vista or something, but for all intents and purposes, yes it is dead. Windows 95 is the only version of windows that had the bug and Microsoft released a patch for it.

I think I read an article about the Ping of Death re-appearing in one of the beta builds of Windows 7 or in Vista or something, but for all intents and purposes, yes it is dead. Windows 95 is the only version of windows that had the bug and Microsoft released a patch for it.

I think this is what you're talking about:

http://g-laurent.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-09-01T00%3A00%3A00-07%3A00&updated-max=2009-10-01T00%3A00%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=1

The "ping of death" has been obsolete for what is a millennia in the computing world.