Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlindPainter

a couple questions about wifi

11 posts in this topic

Basically, I'm interested in jamming 802.11g.

Is there software that would let me basically blast the airwaves (Up to the 36DbM FCC limit) in my immediate vicinity? (I'm guessing a normal wireless card can't broadcast on multiple frequencies, so I'd have to really be sweeping rapidly from 2.401 GHz to 2.495 GHz)

I am assuming that doing so, in my own home, at <= 36DbM is not illegal (though I could see it being a grey area if I went on someone else's property and did the same thing).

Is such a program out there?

If not, is it within the realm of possibility I could code it myself (say with some python and the madwifi drivers)

You might want to get an RF amplifier, and I'd think you can do what you want with MadWiFi drivers and Python. I'd think Mad-WiFi would be the way to go because the Atheros is designed to be controlled via software more than most other chipsets... that is really why it is a great choice for hacking WiFi.

EDIT: to code this stuff yourself you'll need some fairly 1337 skills though...

Edited by tekio

You might want to get an RF amplifier, and I'd think you can do what you want with MadWiFi drivers and Python. I'd think Mad-WiFi would be the way to go because the Atheros is designed to be controlled via software more than most other chipsets... that is really why it is a great choice for hacking WiFi.

EDIT: to code this stuff yourself you'll need some fairly 1337 skills though...

Shit. I don't even know how to program yet. (Working on a shitty blackjack program in python to help learn)

I was hoping I'd be able to just lift a function or two out of madwifi/do a couple commands from the command line strung together with a python script.

So it would be like:

madwifi.frame.create(channel_number,amtTime)

and I could have it do it for a few miliseconds then move to the next channel, whehn the counter hits 11 it repeats from channel 1.

Edited by Blind Painter

Could one of the Wifi hacking tools be setup to continuously deauth every client every time it connects? Would this accomplish "Jamming the Wifi network"?

+1 to just broadcast deauth packetz as yeah wifi card probably isnt going to be powerfull enough to jamm out a router. otherwise it would be easier to build one electronically. say just build a transmitter, with a custom transformer (it probably would be anyways so it can transmit on 2.4-2.5ghz with a random sound/input as all it has to be is "loud" enough(as far as i know) to blockout the router.id be like using a fm transmitter for your ipod or whatever on the same frequency as a radio station all you will hear is the radio station accept your the radio station and their router is the little fm transmitter.

Is there software that would let me basically blast the airwaves (Up to the 36DbM FCC limit)

Why worry about the FCC Limit? If you are intentionally interfering with communications you are already working outside the FCC Part 15 license.

You don't say what your motivation is...

Munge.

Four words: Spark-gap Tesla coil

three words "spark gap transmitter" XD o well basically what i was talking about. think it should work

Could one of the Wifi hacking tools be setup to continuously deauth every client every time it connects? Would this accomplish "Jamming the Wifi network"?

This would work. I'm assuming the aircrack-ng would be used?

Any tips/tutorials you reccomend? (aircrack is a big suite, big enough that reading the man page leaves one with more questions than answers :/ )

This would work. I'm assuming the aircrack-ng would be used?

Any tips/tutorials you reccomend? (aircrack is a big suite, big enough that reading the man page leaves one with more questions than answers :/ )

Get yourself a copy of Hacking Wireless Exposed. It will actually explain what is going on when each command is issued.

My microwave oven does a pretty good job of jamming channel 11. (Microwaves operate at 2.45GHz)

Edit: As johnnymanson suggested, I think broadcasting deauth packets would be the easiest method, although not 100% effective. Aireplay can do this without a problem.

Edited by chown