Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pixelFiend

Root Wars

22 posts in this topic

Hello O Knowledgeable Ones...

I was listening to the current ep. (27) and heard Stank and VoodooHAL talking about setting up a root wars session. One of my current 700 or so projects I'm working on has been putting together a group of people to meet every other week or so and gather to play on my network, hashing out problems we've encountered, learning together and drinking prodigious amounts of adult beverages. These are not the "speaker and audience" types of gatherings, but more like experimenting sessions where we roll up our sleeves and work together. Part of what this eventually will entail is a monster of a machine I'm gathering parts for to install User-Mode Linux and play with the kernel.

Otherwise, I have a pile of 8-10 older machines networked together that I want to use for a rootwar or capture the flag session for this group. I understand basically what this enatils, but I'm still researching it. Simply put, I've never participated in one but I want to, since I think that *doing* is the best damned way to learn anything, but I'm not so eager to practice what hacking skills I do have. The whole loss of the wife/child/job/freedom thing is scary to a family guy. :) All I want to do is learn.

So, can anyone tell me anything about your experiences with this type of thing? Is what I have enough to be worthwhile playing with? I'll be checking out the sites that VoodooHAL mentioned this evening, but I'm very interested in anything that anyone may be able to suggest or pass my way. No shred of info is too small.

Thanks,

PF

*doing* is the best damned way to learn anything,

Here freakn Here on THAT statement!

I've been told many times to just "read" when I have begged to learn.

Yes reading is important but doing is just as essential.

You can read all you want on weight lifting, but will that give you the six-pack abs?

It'll help you get there, but it won't get you there.

Sorry about the ranting, it's just really nice to have somebody that I can relate to.

Hotaru :neko:

Sorry about the ranting, it's just really nice to have somebody that I can relate to.

Great! Me too. :D

In the experience I've had doing is the ONLY way of really learning, especially when it comes to anything dealing with computers. You can read about a language or program and be very conversant in the subject, but until you get your hands dirty and actually do the work you don't really KNOW it. And everyone please understand that I don't want to bash anyone, because I know this isn't always the case, but I've been to LUG meetings listening to people talk and talk and talk, and it was of great interest, but I was always DYING to sit side by side with the guy and walk through the process so I REALLY understood it. That's why the group I'm starting will concentrate on doing.

Good to talk to you, Hotaru

PF

Great! Me too. :D

In the experience I've had doing is the ONLY way of really learning, especially when it comes to anything dealing with computers. You can read about a language or program and be very conversant in the subject, but until you get your hands dirty and actually do the work you don't really KNOW it. And everyone please understand that I don't want to bash anyone, because I know this isn't always the case, but I've been to LUG meetings listening to people talk and talk and talk, and it was of great interest, but I was always DYING to sit side by side with the guy and walk through the process so I REALLY understood it. That's why the group I'm starting will concentrate on doing.

Good to talk to you, Hotaru

PF

Thank You PF!!!

So I'm not the only one who thinks that way and have been treated that way. :huh:

It's kind of unfortunate. I mean if you don't want to teach me then just say so ya know?

Remeber the karate kid? Danielsan tried to teach himself karate by reading books, but that didn't exactly work.

I can read books and books about karate, but a martial artist does it not make me! :jawa:

Oh well, enough of my ranting. I must be PMSing :grr: I wish you were in ABQ PF! I'd join your group in an instant.

i learn the same way but i read to know were to start then as with linux which iam teaching my self and had to redu at lest 20 times just start using and learn more as i go.

i learn the same way but i read to know were to start then as with linux which iam teaching my self and had to redu at lest 20 times just start using and learn more as i go.

Yup. Like a friend of mine used to say, "in the beginning you don't know enough to know that you don't know what to ask." (It was tough to follow him sometimes) You've gotta do a lot of reading early on to have a frame of reference for what comes later, which is part of what I'm trying to do with this thread. :D

PF

I can read books and books about karate, but a martial artist does it not make me! 

Oh well, enough of my ranting.  I must be PMSing    I wish you were in ABQ PF!  I'd join your group in an instant.

Hotaru, are you into martial arts? /me practices aikido (at least from time to time). If you ever happen through central MD drop me an email. We'll have a machine warmed up for ya.

PF

I've been trying to get into martial arts on a broad scale, but reading about war is one thing and actually practicing war is another thing. Anyone have a large number of troops I can tinker with for awhile? I have a few addendums to chapter 13(fire) of the art of war I want to test out.

Hotaru, are you into martial arts? /me practices aikido (at least from time to time). If you ever happen through central MD drop me an email. We'll have a machine warmed up for ya.

PF

Yes. We also have a philosophy in our dojo called "Shoshin" which means beginner's mind. No matter how advanced we become we must always approach life with a beginner's mind. That way we are constanly learning.

I guess my point on this thread was that as an instructor, when I have a student ask me to teach them something, I don't tell them to read about it and then walk away (which has been done to me). Yes - certain things we use books to reference or clarify, but what kind of an instructor would I be to my students if I treated them like that?

Thanks for letting me rant rant rant.... :ranaway:

I've been trying to get into martial arts on a broad scale, but reading about war is one thing and actually practicing war is another thing. Anyone have a large number of troops I can tinker with for awhile? I have a few addendums to chapter 13(fire) of the art of war I want to test out.

I hear that the Taliban are pretty cheap right now. I bet you could conjure a few troops there. :P

I do have one suggestion: Make this a public thing. Your friends and peers are great to learn with and have fun with but an influx of external ideas and external talents can teach you a lot.

In my area there is a little cyber cafe run by an awesome odler computer security type who used to attend 2600 meetings and such. even though her business is doomed this seems to me like the perfect sort of place to host a public root war. you might also stick flyers orsomething in local copies of 2600 magazines with the hope of attracting like minded people, wherever you happen to set it up. If you feel really ambitious you might set it up to be a tcp/ip global type rootwar, though of course that costs moneys.

It's going to be open to the public. I'm finishing the user and team registration pages as we speak.

Wargame Features

1. Open to the public

2. Team based (sometimes)

3. 10 + systems

I'd list more features but they're either up in the air or i want it to be a suprise.

Vooduhal when is the vpn going to be up axid is all set on our side

Vooduhal when is the vpn going to be up axid is all set on our side

Darkraider:

Vooduhal’s been half dead from all the school stuff he has been doing; I wouldn’t expect him to answer this thread any time soon, from how he sounded last night on the phone; You may just want to pm him instead.

As far as the wargames go, it would be interesting to have that again, but with a larger group; It was always just a few people doing it last time when it was a HHC thing and more people make it more fun.

LOL just my luck, right after I posted the above he posted on the forum; LOL shows how much I know. :lol:

So is everything up? Or you waiting to load the boxes?

well voodu told me to go ahead and set up our boxes and he will have his up when the semester dies down a bit.

Yeah, I'm sorry guys. This semester is just becoming more of a pain of an ass than one could possibly imagine.