Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Redneck

BackTrack3

10 posts in this topic

I am want to install BackTrack3 on my Laptop which is a Compaq Presario (1.8ghz, 1.50 Memory, and a 80 gig hard drive with windows Vista. I want to completely Wipe out windows vista and put BackTrack3 on. I have searched on google came up with a bit and some from offensive-security. I have not done an install like this before, So it is a challenge and would like some input on weather the quote here would work for a complete install, any information on how to do something like this would help and is greatly appreciated.

My name is ph0ram but you can just say ph0 for short. OK? OK this is going to be a very clear cut guide for anyone that either is having some trouble installing BT3 with the experimental installation script or just need some guidance on how to get from live to real.

Also, Much credit goes to the person or people that made the BT2 how-to a while back for the same reason I am making this one.

Now this is very simple. Follow these steps and you will have successfully install BT3 on your HDD with no problem whatsoever.

*NOTE: The following instructions will clear all data on the specified HDD. Please be sure and backup all necessary data before proceeding*

Step I: Preparing the HDD:

For this tutorial I am assuming you want to install BT3 on your primary master HDD which for me is '/dev/sda'. To be sure this is drive you want to make preparation for for BT3 just simply open up Konqueror and select Storage Media . In the address bar you should see something that says 'media:/' Choose the drive in Storage Media that is your primary master HDD. Now look at the address bar again. It should have change to something along the lines like, 'media:/sda1' If not then try another storage device until you find the one that has data on it that you recognize. Once you find the drive that you recognize. If you are satisfied with formatting it then make a mental note on the drive that was in the address bar because we are getting ready to use it (i.e media:/sda1).

Ok now that you have backed up your necessary data on your harddrive that you want to replace your current OS with, it's time to start using some linux tools . FDISK FTW! Again, I am assuming you are using your primary HDD and that it is /dev/sda.

Ok let's get started. We're going to setup a boot, swap and root partition. Make sure that the primary master HDD is not mounted before proceeding. Otherwise, you will have to go back into fdisk and confirm the changes that you made on the '/dev/sda' partition table

- Open up a shell prompt

- type in 'fdisk /dev/sda'

- type in the letter 'n'

- Press ENTER

- type in the letter 'p'

- Press ENTER

- Press the number '1'

- Press ENTER

- Press ENTER again

- Type in '+50M'

- Press ENTER

- Type in the letter 'n' again

- Press ENTER

- Type in the letter 'p'

- Press ENTER

- Press the number '2'

- Press ENTER

- Press ENTER again

- Type in '+512M'

- Press ENTER

- Type in the letter 'n'

- Press ENTER

- Type in the letter 'p'

- Press ENTER

- Type in the number '3'

- Press ENTER

- Press ENTER again

- Press ENTER once more

- Press the letter 'a' [ENTER]

- Press the number '1' [ENTER]

- Press the letter 't' [ENTER]

- Press the number '2' [ENTER]

- Type in the number '82' [ENTER]

- And to take a look at your swap, boot and root partitions press the letter 'p' [ENTER]

- Finally to confirm all of these modifications, which will format your primary master HDD press the letter 'w'

That's it for that. Now a few more things to setup before running the BT3 install script.

on the same shell prompt type in:

- mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1 [ENTER]

When that is done type in:

- mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda3 [ENTER]

Ok now we have our file systems written to both partitions 1 and 3. By the way partition 2 is our swap lol. Anyways, moving right along.

This is the last step before running the install script. on the same shell prompt type in the following:

- 'cd /tmp' [ENTER]

- 'mkdir boot' [ENTER]

- 'mkdir bt3' [ENTER]

- 'mount /dev/sda1 boot' [ENTER]

- 'mount /dev/sda3 bt3' [ENTER]

Now what we've all been waiting for... The install script! Ok uncheck the 'Restore Original MBR after lilo' Then where it says, 'Install Backtrack to: ' change that to '/tmp/bt3', because we have mounted our root partition there . Let the install run until it says it is complete. Once it's done reboot and enjoy your new system of BackTrack 3!

- ph0ram

Edited by Redneck

I'd probably want to install BT4 instead. It's not technically done, but it's done enough. There are a lot of changes in BT4, and all the new stuff is in there. I installed in on VirtualBox, and the install was so easy, I don't even remember it :P

I installed in on VirtualBox, and the install was so easy, I don't even remember it :P

A VM and $30.00 USB adapter w/ RT73 chipset FTW!

Thank you for the ideas.

I installed in on VirtualBox, and the install was so easy, I don't even remember it :P

I tried getting a wireless adapter working with my BT4 in VirtBox but to no avail. How did you do it?

I tried getting a wireless adapter working with my BT4 in VirtBox but to no avail. How did you do it?

I've never used VirtBox, but to get more help you might want to specify what in-particular isn't working.... To show you how it is dome most people will just google and give you instructions...

I am new to Backtrack :) Trying to install bt3 on my laptop as only op system. Followed "Redneck's" direction to the letter got to the end and got lost when it speaks of "Install Script" Where is that? are you talking about the old BT2 installer? Please help and thanks in advance!

Just install Debian or Ubuntu and apt-get everything you need. Backtrack isn't a desktop system, and wasn't designed to be.

I am new to Backtrack :) Trying to install bt3 on my laptop as only op system. Followed "Redneck's" direction to the letter got to the end and got lost when it speaks of "Install Script" Where is that? are you talking about the old BT2 installer? Please help and thanks in advance!

Easy way: Boot from the BT3 (or BT4) iso disk. Depending on which BackTrack you are using do the following :

BT3 -- apt-get install ubiquity. run ubiquity and follow the prompts.

BT4 -- there is an install.sh file on the desktop by defalut. it is the only file on there. Run that file, and it will launch ubiquity.

To install the bktr 4 you juste need to lounch the install.sh script from the desktop...

I'ts that simple :tongue: