sector-xero

I need some advice.

13 posts in this topic

I'm finally almost done with my Computer Forensics / Internet Security associates degree. I'm very glad to be.

Right now I'm at a crossroad in my life.

The decision of either finding a job with an associates degree and be able to relax and have some fun in my life. Save for a car or apartment.... Play paintball...

Or

Continue my education at a University for a BA in Information Security. I love learning but I still live at home. I know if I continue with school I'm going to be continue to be broke and will continue spending 2 hours a day in my car commuting back and forth.

I assume that you guys will say continue on school. Which I think I'm leaning towards. I feel like its killing me. All the time and stress sucks. I dunno what do you think?

Ummm I think you should ball up and do what you want.

Weigh both decisions and decide. Dilemma over.

pfft :P do both, you can try and get a job with your ass. degree and if your lucky.look around the right places will pay for some of the school/give placement for when you get ba/masters + better resume with past experience.

School. If you ever take a break, the odds are against you ever going back.

Look at all the, "I'm going to take a break after high school, then go to college after I chill for a years" people. Do they ever end up going back? If they do, it's generally to take a class at community college for a semester. Likewise, the people who get their AA degree, but decide that they're going to wait a year before moving onto a four year University never do.

I speak from personal experience, I see this time and time again. Kids run off to do something else ("only for a year or two"), get back forget what's like to be in an academic setting, and lose all desire to go back to school.

School. If you ever take a break, the odds are against you ever going back.

Look at all the, "I'm going to take a break after high school, then go to college after I chill for a years" people. Do they ever end up going back? If they do, it's generally to take a class at community college for a semester. Likewise, the people who get their AA degree, but decide that they're going to wait a year before moving onto a four year University never do.

I speak from personal experience, I see this time and time again. Kids run off to do something else ("only for a year or two"), get back forget what's like to be in an academic setting, and lose all desire to go back to school.

Listen to WaMu. He is right. Speaking from my personal experience. I started college and lived at home. Living at home is good because it's free assuming home is with your parents. Therefore you can continue to apply for college loans or grants or even a new scholarship. I ran out of money to pay for college when I finished my associates so I joined the Air force. I can still go back to college but I never get time to do it.

Before you get a job finish your degree and then get a job because you will probably never get another chance to go back to college or put it off to the point you don't feel like going back. Point is... businesses will look at your more if you have a bachelors degree than if you just have an associates degree. And knowing people + networking with them is a big part of getting a job. If you have a bachelors degree on top of that you get paid more....most of the time. Paintball is super fun I would love to play paintball but honestly... you will have all the time in the world to play paintball after your degree is done.

DO NOT TAKE A BREAK!!!!! Finish it... if you finish it you don't ever have to worry about going back. If you don't finish it... you "will not" go back. Trust me. But then again it is your life and you have the right to do whatever you want. It is on you... Good luck with whatever you chose to do though.

First, a 2 year degree doesn't really mean much. I mean, the first year is all core classes and pretty low-level introductory courses, that leaves just the second year (also core-class laden) to get to the meat. Then you promptly forget most of that and graduate. A 2 year degree is something, but it's not exactly revered.

Second, get it all done at once! You won't have the time or the energy later in life. If you do land a job with that 2 year degree, you can't just take a break in a few years to go back and finish your degree. Employers usually expect you to be working, not going to school. It's like a band-aid, get it over quick and all at once.

Go for the Bachelors degree. The associate degree isn't worth a lot in this economy. I'm 50 and working on turning my associate degrees (Info Sec and Networking) into a BS CIS. Although I'm having fun, its best to do this kind of thing when you are young. You'll earn more for much longer.

School. A BA will open up many more doors for you, and you'll be very grateful for it in the end. It really pays off in the most literal sense, and you'll see that in the short term.

Going back after you lived in the real world is really, really tough. I know I couldn't. When you get paid more, you spend more: my rent is three times what it was two years ago when I was in school. So are my bills. If I were to go back, I'd have to give this all up and move in with some roommates again - not exactly something that's easy to do. But back then, it would have been easy to continue school - I didn't take on all these extra costs I have now.

All the time and stress does suck. But it's so worth it. Get your BA.

Edited by Seal

School. A BA will open up many more doors for you, and you'll be very grateful for it in the end. It really pays off in the most literal sense, and you'll see that in the short term.

Going back after you lived in the real world is really, really tough. I know I couldn't. When you get paid more, you spend more: my rent is three times what it was two years ago when I was in school. So are my bills. If I were to go back, I'd have to give this all up and move in with some roommates again - not exactly something that's easy to do. But back then, it would have been easy to continue school - I didn't take on all these extra costs I have now.

All the time and stress does suck. But it's so worth it. Get your BA.

Personally, I disagree. I have a batchelors, and I found that working for a company (my first professional job) doing oracle database stuff, with .net frontends, I found my degree to be of absoloutely next to zero value. Most of the learning was done on the job. Also, just like anyone else, I still got exploited to fuck. Paid the wage, (20k salary) but then excused after 6 months because of the recession. The Boss was winding me up to fuck aswell, with his increasingly incredible expectations. Arsehole.

So my 2 Cents? If your right for the job, you'll get it, degree or not. Its who you are, not what you have.

*Update to my situation.

I ported my unofficial transcript to a local university, a quarter of transfer. If I began going towards a bachelors, it would be like starting over.

Unless some kind of privileged full ride, apartment paid, thing, I'd be like "no problem", but that's not happening.

Then again... I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I'm at least DECENT at computers.

Well, you could always try a best of (or worst of) both worlds approach. Go to school part time while actively pursuing a job. If you find a job that fits, you don't have to finish your bachelors, and if you don't, you are still enrolled. If you have the opportunity though, I would say do whatever it takes to finish school.

Then again... I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I'm at least DECENT at computers.

I wouldn't worry about it. Back in the mid nineties I got an associates degree in information systems and did pretty well for myself with it. A few months ago I quit working in IT because I am completely sick of the entire tech field. Now, in retrospect, I am glad that I didn't spend the extra 2 years and tens of thousands of dollars getting a Bachelors degree.

I wouldn't worry about it. Back in the mid nineties I got an associates degree in information systems and did pretty well for myself with it. A few months ago I quit working in IT because I am completely sick of the entire tech field. Now, in retrospect, I am glad that I didn't spend the extra 2 years and tens of thousands of dollars getting a Bachelors degree.

If you do a Bachelors/Masters while working in your field, especially after completing an Associates; you get the best of both worlds and it pays for itself.. particularly if your employer has an education budget.. it's essentially free money. :whistling:

That being said, I know a very successful person who put the time that could have been spent going back to school in to certification and career advancement; management recognized him and promoted him above several of his then bosses in a very short time span. It's more who you are, who you know and what you can do, than just how good you look on paper.

Certs and academic credits can either help you get past the initial HR screening, help you justify your stance when it comes to a raise, or can actually benefit you with the base knowledge they are supposed to impart. :)

Edited by jabzor