Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ethanclark14

SCHOOL ISSUED LAPTOP HACKING

12 posts in this topic

Ok basically this year my school issued laptops for everyone to use for school that we can take home. The school spent a crap ton of money beefing up their security and its really pissing me off. Even on my own internet i cant run any program that isnt on a certain list and at school they monitor what you do on-line and use a marshall8e6 blocker that i have yet to find a way around. WHAT can i do to get more freedom on this laptop?

Messing with the operating system and putting a whole lot of things in the web history that aren't supposed to be there are not good. This can get you into trouble, even though it doesn't really do any harm to the machine. There's little to stop you from running your own OS on USB though ;)

Have fun, don't break anything.

You have to look at it from your school's standpoint. It's THEIR property, and they don't want you misusing it. They issued it to you so you can do your school work, not so you can screw around.

But, that being said, you could probably download a Live CD of your favorite flavor of Linux (or put it on USB like Ohm said), and operate through that. Just be sure not to install it, or set it to make persistent changes.

Right, the advantage of USB is persistence. I suppose it'll run a bit slow (especially with writing) on USB, but it'll work. If you want to go all out, see if you can get an external hard drive to boot from.

Yes, it is their hardware. But at the same time, running another OS isn't going to hurt it any and what you do on your own time is your business.

One obstacle I see is a BIOS password. If a BIOS password is set and you can't alter the boot order, you might be out of luck. Without making modifications to the BIOS and possibly disassembling the machine (which is a crossing a pretty big line, remember this isn't your hardware), you might not be able to boot from USB.

You could always try talking to whoever is in charge of these laptops. Explain what you want to do. If they don't understand, explain harder. Make sure they understand that it can't hurt the computer, nor can it harm the operating system on the hard drive (as long as you don't mount it or mount it read-only). Explain that Linux is very educational, that you need it to study computers. Hacking isn't always the answer, sometimes just asking will work.

Hacking isn't always the answer, sometimes just asking will work.

Translation: If hacking doesn't work, try social engineering.

Hacking isn't always the answer, sometimes just asking will work.

Translation: If hacking doesn't work, try social engineering.

I like the live CD or USB idea. Or even an external HD with linux on it. I have tried putting Windows on an external HD and it doesn't work because when windows tries to boot it and stops and re-initializes the USB drivers for windows. With linux you can do this though. I don't suggest doing it but there are ways around a BIOS password. Such as BIOS flashes and removing the laptop battery. I wouldn't do it either like they said before because it's not your computer. As for getting around their software... have you tried using a proxy server?

I am assuming that this program they block everything with at home is a installed program. I don't know anything about it. I would assume it runs on a service or something if it's windows XP so what you might try doing is booting into safemode by hitting F8 over and over when the computer first turns on. It will give you options to go into safe mode with networking support. Chose that option and when it boots up it should let you login from administrator or another user. If you can log in as administrator then you could just stop the service from booting up when you restart into normal mode.

If you cannot turn off the service or keep that program from starting... then I would suggest lookin up on the internet on how to get around the administrator password from a live distro of linux. I know how to do it but I'll leave that upto you for your project. There are plenty of websites that teach you how. Youtube is a good one to actually show you how. The only problem with this is... once you have actually removed the password you will not have the original. Well... atleast with the way I know.

If you can find a way to do it with linux which I am sure there probably is to where you can crack that password I would do that. That way you can login as administrator and hide your tracks. Either way... It's probably easier to just ask in the long run.

I don't suggest doing it but there are ways around a BIOS password. Such as BIOS flashes and removing the laptop battery.

The battery you're referring to is not the main battery, it's a small battery on the motherboard. Otherwise you'd lose your settings every time you switched to a backup battery. This requires disassembling the machine to get to, not an option in this case.

Just pull out the hard drive and stick it in another machine.

Its also worth noting that some computers have an option to choose a temporary boot device without actually going into BIOS settings, although this is somewhat rare, you've hit the jackpot if your computer supports it.

Its also worth noting that some computers have an option to choose a temporary boot device without actually going into BIOS settings, although this is somewhat rare, you've hit the jackpot if your computer supports it.

Most modern BIOS' support that, usually by pressing F12 or F11 just after POST, or Esc/F9 for HP/Compaq based systems.

We sort of did that to our school computers by removing the BIOS-battery and keeping it out for at least 30minutes. Next we ran a program called OPHCrack (can be downloaded from here:http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/) and mounted it to a DVD, using Nero Burning Room.

Later we booted the computer from the DVD and extracted the admin password (OPHCrack is quite self-explaining). There is offcourse not necesarry to have the admin pswd to instala new OS as this can be done from the bootscreen, either with a HDD, CD or USB.

So currently i'm running both XP and Windows 7 RC on my school computer and it runs like a dream!

Hope this was an answer to your question!