Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lftmorgue

University Interviews

6 posts in this topic

I'm applying for Degree courses in computer science and software engineering this year at several universities (I live in the UK) that will more than likely require an interview. I wanted to be prepared for these interviews by developing something like a website with attached source code to hopefully impress.

So my question is can anyone recommend any features I should throw into the mix that would impress a university interviewer ?

As far as web development goes I'm quite comfortable with PHP, CSS, HTML and Javascript. I have also played about with Ruby on Rails and SQL but I'm more then happy to look into other languages and tools.

I've given myself a good few of months to get this done and any recommendations at all would be well received. :smile:

I go to a university here in the US, so I am not sure if this applies across the pond. I do know that I didn't have to interview to get into school though.

A firm hold on C++ and Java would be very beneficial. I know that we do a lot of C++ and Java and every once in awhile we hit on XHtml, PHP, Javascript, etc.

Also, if you are going to showcase any of your code, make sure it is well commented. One thing I did learn by looking at my past code and spending hours trying to figure out wtf I was thinking, comments would have saved me a lot of time making minor changes to my code. That said, my code was completely uncommented and it would have probably been faster to just rewrite it.

... And pay attention in math class, especially if you are taking Calculus. ;)

I live in Canada and I also didn't have to pass an interview to get in university. However, having a website where you post your own projects is great for potential employers if you plan on doing internships during your degree.

You must be looking at some very small universities. I can't imagine interviewing over 20k students, and that isn't even one of the bigger ones here in the U.S.

I'm currently in my second year of SE here in the UK.

I showed them some sites I had made in my interview which used HTML/CSS and JavaScript, I also had related work experience.

If your able to show use of PHP/MySQL or even C++ you would give a very good impression.

If you have any queries feel free to shoot me a PM.

Swerve.

You must be looking at some very small universities. I can't imagine interviewing over 20k students, and that isn't even one of the bigger ones here in the U.S.

My uni had to interview all people on our course because of the course material.. interviews are course specific i'm sure so there would only be about 50 per course :P