qwertymoron

Phone line keylogger?

15 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there is keylogger for phone lines, a key logger is something that catches all information that runs through the keyboard wire. Is it possible to capture all the information runnig through a phone line? Thanks.

are you talking about a wire tap, or just something that records the dial tones when people call out?

beh double post..

Edited by dinscurge

beh double post..

Actually, this ties into the thread about audio manipulation. You can easily write your own recording and analysis app. Both MAX/MSP and CSound provide a platform for writing apps that can be used to identify frequencies.

http://csound.sourceforge.net/

There are several different programming methods for determining frequency from an input source (Fourier Analysis, etc). I can make some suggestions and provide you more info if you choose to go this route. (and I may actually have some old Fourier CSound code lying around).

best,

Pan

Theres some hardware here

http://www.sandman.com/digit.html

Tone-Master TM-16 Digit Decoder Supposedly decodes DTMF tones from tape or audio card but its about $200.. thats alot of dough compared to a homegrown program. I would be interested in helping that program along if I would be able to (Ive programmed plenty but never any csound, and I dont know anything about sound waves), And if I couldnt help Id really like to learn from it. If a program like that was written the best route for might be as a plugin in for Asterisk and the others.

Thanks for the help guys but I'm not trying to get the tones but rather the 'RAW' data travelling through the wire and some how load it onto a computer. Could the information be read as codes? and if so how hard would it be to decipher? Thanks.

I was thinkin' could I connect a keylogger to 2 phoneline usb adapters to catch the data?

[] USB Keylogger

-- Phone Line

== Phone Line USB Adapter

like this

-----=====[]=====----

Thanks for the help guys but I'm not trying to get the tones but rather the 'RAW' data travelling through the wire and some how load it onto a computer. Could the information be read as codes? and if so how hard would it be to decipher? Thanks.

So, are you talking about something which would sniff data through a modem or fax connection? What other data on a phoneline could there be aside from DTMF tones and voice recording unless your talking about a connection via modem (I dont know if that would be called a keylogger)?

Edited by p0id

you could only eavesdrop on faxes and really old modems Unless your looking to do some work.

from http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking/puis/ch14_04.htm

14.4.4 Protecting Against Eavesdropping

Modems that are not adaptive are very susceptible to eavesdropping and wiretapping. Non-adaptive modems include data modems that are slower than 9600 baud and most fax modems.

Im not an expert though. Thats just what I found on the subject.

Edited by p0id

I was wondering if there is keylogger for phone lines, a key logger is something that catches all information that runs through the keyboard wire. Is it possible to capture all the information runnig through a phone line? Thanks.

Yes. It's called a pen register.

Yes. It's called a pen register.

I think he meant he needed something to eavesdrop on a 28 or 56k modem signal, It just wasn't stated clearly enough.

I built a little device a few months back for a friend which is not much more than a PIC based DTMF logger/decoder. I think I also used a HT9170 dual tone multi frequency (DTMF) receiver IC and a handful of other components, not costing more than $20. I'll see if I can dig the diagram up, although I think I did it on the back of a shopping receipt.

I remember reading about a wire tap that was wireless. It was a small box with I think a coil of copper wire. You could simply open it, and snap it closed over a telephone wire. Then you could simply listen in on the call that way.

Can anyone remind me what this was?