Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tekwizz123

Applications

11 posts in this topic

I have just started C++ programming and I was wondering how many years studying C++ would be needed before I could create my own programs like the one in the password cracking form. Sry if this sounds childish but i thought y guys might be able to answer.

It is hard to say because I do not know you. I don't know about the program you are talking about either.... I'd guess about 1 year for a person to go from "hello world" applications to something that is a bit more complex.

I do not know C++ either, but just going on what it took me with Delphi and VB.

Well, C++ will take longer than some other languages. If you were to learn VB or C#, you have Microsoft's GUI tools which make it quite easy to make GUI applications with no real knowledge or experience. This is advantageous, since you can get up and running fast. I'm not sure if this the same for C++, but from what I've heard managed C++ (C++ on the .net platform) is a nightmare, and should be avoided. But the advantage of going the longer route with C++ is that you'll end up with more programming skills. A GUI programmer who only knows how to plug things together with the GUI editor and do some very basic coding to make it do something interesting won't be able to build larger projects, nor understand what's happening in their programs behind the scenes. Both have their advantages, but for hacking where the objective is a deep understanding of all things technical, the C++ route makes more sense to me. So I guess you have to make a decision.

I've done GUIs in C++, but not on Windows. On Linux, you have to use a library like Qt. There's a learning curve involved and it's certainly not as easy and plugging some things together with VB, but it's doable once you get the basics of C++ down. You should have at the very least a good understanding of classes, namespaces and how to work with objects and pointers.

There's another possibility as well. Code your programs in C++ and don't worry about the GUI. Then, make a GUI in VB or something (without actually learning the language properly, you can get up and running pretty fast) that will launch the program, capture the output and display it in the GUI.

Well, C++ will take longer than some other languages. If you were to learn VB or C#, you have Microsoft's GUI tools which make it quite easy to make GUI applications with no real knowledge or experience. This is advantageous, since you can get up and running fast. I'm not sure if this the same for C++, but from what I've heard managed C++ (C++ on the .net platform) is a nightmare, and should be avoided. But the advantage of going the longer route with C++ is that you'll end up with more programming skills. A GUI programmer who only knows how to plug things together with the GUI editor and do some very basic coding to make it do something interesting won't be able to build larger projects, nor understand what's happening in their programs behind the scenes. Both have their advantages, but for hacking where the objective is a deep understanding of all things technical, the C++ route makes more sense to me. So I guess you have to make a decision.

I've done GUIs in C++, but not on Windows. On Linux, you have to use a library like Qt. There's a learning curve involved and it's certainly not as easy and plugging some things together with VB, but it's doable once you get the basics of C++ down. You should have at the very least a good understanding of classes, namespaces and how to work with objects and pointers.

There's another possibility as well. Code your programs in C++ and don't worry about the GUI. Then, make a GUI in VB or something (without actually learning the language properly, you can get up and running pretty fast) that will launch the program, capture the output and display it in the GUI.

well I am using windows vista and Microsoft Visual Studio 10 plus a book to get started in the programming. I think i will go with the C++ for now and get really good at it first. Then I'll move onto java or something more advanced. And lastly, yes i am looking at becoming a hacker/ bug finder in the future.

Edited by tekwizz123

well I am using windows vista and Microsoft Visual Studio 10 plus a book to get started in the programming. I think i will go with the C++ for now and get really good at it first. Then I'll move onto java or something more advanced. And lastly, yes i am looking at becoming a hacker/ bug finder in the future.

I started with Perl and was writing them [password utilities] in about 1 yr into it. Then i started making GUI applications with Perl/Tk about 1 year later. What took so long was learning about MD5, HTTPS, HTTP, TCP/IP, and the language itself. Now, with Perl knowledge I was able to pickup up standard C in about 2 weeks, and PHP almost instantly.

you may want to try starting off with an easier language all together, to get the feel of what programming is actually like, before diving into a .NET framework thinggymabob that makes GUI applications with a few clicks. That's kinda going in the wrong direction of a "Hacker/Debugger" as you will honestly learn more and develop a solid passion for it through the satisfaction of which real coding brings.

Just a thought :P

C+/++ never really clicked for me, i find VBS easier to use, and easier to implement in school powerpoints

Stick with it. The logic of it all will be a bit daunting at first, but once you get a foothold on that everything else will fall through pretty quickly. If you find C++ frustrating as fuck, there are other, easier languages for a beginner as well. Python seems to be a popular choice for that.

Stick with it. The logic of it all will be a bit daunting at first, but once you get a foothold on that everything else will fall through pretty quickly. If you find C++ frustrating as fuck, there are other, easier languages for a beginner as well. Python seems to be a popular choice for that.

Another thing that I would suggest, if the logic seems daunting, is to study math. A lot of it.

I'm not sure what the OP's math background is, but I do know that a lot of people dive into programming without a firm grounding in basic math. Computer Science IS math, and it really shows in the vocabulary (the term "variable" seems to be one that some people have a hard time with). Being strong in math may not be essential for a would-be hacker/programmer, but it would certainly speed up the learning process, IMO. I know from experience that Community College C++ classes are littered with students who struggle with basic algebra and would crumble if they had to deal with trig functions.

If anybody needs Algebra/Trig, I'd suggest Precalculus Concepts, by Esty. From there, study some Linear Algebra. If you want a fun way to learn basic Statistics, then look into Sabrmetrics (the statistical analysis of Baseball), APBRmetrics (the basketball equivalent), or the work being done at footballoutsiders.com (statistical analysis of American football). That's how I learned Statistics (combined with a basic "Social Statistics for Ignoramuses" type of book to learn the basics of distributions, sampling, and regression analysis).

I think that beginning programmers should focus on two things when they study math: 1) The underlying logic of the operations; and 2) the vocabulary. I don't see how you would gain much by being able to ace a Calc class, but if go into programming already familiar with much of the vocabulary, then it lessens the burden. And if you aren't familiar with the vocabulary, then by studying math on the side, you gain access to thousands of years worth of writing on these concepts.

Edited by Jacob

That depends on you ability to learn and your logic skills ....

1 year or maybe more... If you want to create cracking software you'll rely need to learn a lot more.

I personally advise you to try Python or C programing, or may be Perl.

Edited by BoogY

I'd say > 6 months, remember you don't need to make a gui, and once you get used to navigating console applications you may like them better than a graphical one.

And previous experience would help, such as Perl. Also, I hope you weren't referring to Java as more advanced, more advanced would be something like Assembly.

Oh God, another programming language debate.

And btw, I think you got it wrong. "Starting at C++ then moving onto something more advanced, like Java."

That made me lol.

Anyway, what kind of password cracking are you trying to do? If you're trying to, for example, write software that will unmask passwords in those "password" text boxes, then you need to learn about the Win32 API and the different types of Messages Controls send to the window, etc.

If you're trying to write software that 'cracks' or 'generates' code, it's as simple as knowing how it was generated in the first place. You will need to reverse engineer the application that generates it. This requires a good knowledge of ASM, and debugging. Be a little more specific, and I will try to help your further.