Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
criticalmass

Will Snow Leopard run on a netbook?

13 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone knew if the new mac os would run on a netbook. I have tried that mac osx86 os and i cant get the wifi to work with the acer one that i have so i was wondering if that the new one that is out will work.

Probably not out of the box. Hopefully some cool people will release a hacked version.

There are always custom OS X discs out on the pirate seas. They are uploaded with appropriate kernels and drivers for either Intel or even AMD systems.

And on top of that, Leopard was cut down on drivers and such to trim the size. So, out of the box, almost definitely not.

He's obviously talking about a hacked OSx86 installation. It depends, are there any netbook users on their forums? I've heard there's been some success with the Eee PC on previous versions, but I haven't tried it myself. It's a foreign OS to me, and jumping in head first on difficult and limited hardware doesn't seem like the way to go. How well does it actually run on these machines though? Can you get it fully functional and running as fast as Linux or XP?

He's obviously talking about a hacked OSx86 installation. It depends, are there any netbook users on their forums? I've heard there's been some success with the Eee PC on previous versions, but I haven't tried it myself. It's a foreign OS to me, and jumping in head first on difficult and limited hardware doesn't seem like the way to go. How well does it actually run on these machines though? Can you get it fully functional and running as fast as Linux or XP?

OSx86 works fine on some netbooks. The Dell Mini9/VostroA90 where perfect for it.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html

The problem with 10.6 is that it is too new for a working x86 hack to be out and about yet. And with the large variety of netbooks, its a crapshoot.

What WiFi chipset does your Acer have?

OSx86 works fine on some netbooks. The Dell Mini9/VostroA90 where perfect for it.

The problem with 10.6 is that it is too new for a working x86 hack to be out and about yet. And with the large variety of netbooks, its a crapshoot.

Almost always you will find Dell based systems working with OSx86, seems to be the closest you can get to the real deal. Some googling and as mentioned before, floating the pirate seas, you will find exactly what your looking for.

http://www.osx86project.org/

Figure out your exact hardware and then look it up here. There isn't much hardware difference in 10.5 -> 10.6 but it's likely that your hardware is supported in Leopard, just not out of the box.

If you find the iPC 0Sx86 10.5.6 image it is loaded with a shit ton of drivers installable with the OS.

Here are the installation options:

http://pcwizcomputer.com/ipcosx86/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ipcppf5packagelist.png

The good news is most of the netbooks seem to use the same Intel Atom and Intel video chipset, so at least that's covered. Wireless and sound might be a problem though. Can you get it working with USB wifi devices?

all i have seen so far is that people are replacing there wifi cards in the netbooks for acer with a different one and then it runs super fast. i tried it before with just running it without the wifi working but then what good is a laptop w/o the wifi.

I don't understand why you are bothering. The hacked versions are always a pain to work with and if you care that much about os x, just buy a macbook.

Not all of us can afford machines like that. They're... expensive.

The Linksys WUSB600N USB adapter runs great on os x and offers 5Ghz N compatibility; the downside is that it costs 75 bones. Anything USB with a Realtek 8187L will work too, including the Alpha USB adapter.

The problem is most drivers are "hacked" into the install and usually not developed by the people creating the hacked versions of OS X. So, unless the manufacturer or a 3rd party develops drivers the WiFi will not work.

Edited by tekio