Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indexphinger

Hook 2 lines together to create my own extender?

4 posts in this topic

would there be any way to bridge my shaw line with my telus line,enabling me to place a tollfree call to my telus line from goog411 toessentially turn it into an extender? like, enter the passcode and thenwait for a device like a computer to pick up the 2nd line and presentme with a dialtone?

:) It would make calling home and calling for "Free" from payphones alot easier, and more legal.

Setup a computer with two modems/FXS/Phone adaptors, one plugged to each line, and install Asterisks.

Well, yeah, you could, but if you simply bridge one line onto the other without any additional hardware, the volume might be a little low. I was wondering why that was myself until recently; http://www.binrev.co...dware-bridging/

As I've said before, I'm a total noob with electronics, but I'm guessing you'd have to use a relay that trips when ringing voltage is present, and bridge it to something with another relay. A passcode is probably a lot harder to implement, but you could do something like this; say you've got an answering machine or something on one of the lines you mentioned that picks up after a few rings. Since most answering machines ditch the call when they see something else pick up, you could have something listen for a tone or something, and pick up both lines when it hears said tone.

Oh, right, and if you do something with relays, you might have to use something to make the equipment hang up when the battery drop comes at the end of the call.

EDIT:

It would make calling home and calling for "Free" from payphones alot easier, and more legal.

If it's just toll-free numbers you need to call, you could just have the operator place calls for you, couldn't you? Can't say I've tried op-diverting in Canuckistan yet, but it should be both legal and plausible.

If you have remote call forwarding and are willing to pay fifty cents, you can just do what I do when I'm bored at payphones, and forward your calls to wherever you want to call.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Well, yeah, you could, but if you simply bridge one line onto the other without any additional hardware, the volume might be a little low. I was wondering why that was myself until recently; http://www.binrev.co...dware-bridging/

As I've said before, I'm a total noob with electronics, but I'm guessing you'd have to use a relay that trips when ringing voltage is present, and bridge it to something with another relay. A passcode is probably a lot harder to implement, but you could do something like this; say you've got an answering machine or something on one of the lines you mentioned that picks up after a few rings. Since most answering machines ditch the call when they see something else pick up, you could have something listen for a tone or something, and pick up both lines when it hears said tone.

Oh, right, and if you do something with relays, you might have to use something to make the equipment hang up when the battery drop comes at the end of the call.

EDIT:

It would make calling home and calling for "Free" from payphones alot easier, and more legal.

If it's just toll-free numbers you need to call, you could just have the operator place calls for you, couldn't you? Can't say I've tried op-diverting in Canuckistan yet, but it should be both legal and plausible.

If you have remote call forwarding and are willing to pay fifty cents, you can just do what I do when I'm bored at payphones, and forward your calls to wherever you want to call.

I think I'm gonna go the asterisk way and set it up, possibly with a few extras :)

It would provide without password The current time and date at my house, a mailbox, Basic Buslink service (automated audio bus schedules, only really useful here) possibly a Single Player MUD Dungeon :)

and the dial out, whose password would change every week, and giving it to certain people I can trust to make a short call on my dime.