Swerve

UK - Tracing people who call a cell phone number?

5 posts in this topic

Last night someone broke into my car and took it for a drive.

I have an idea of who it may be, but of course cannot be sure, nor is this any form of evidence.

The only thing I can think of to try to catch the SOAB is for me to put notices around my area asking people who may of seen anything to call a cell phone number.

I'm hoping the person(s) who did it may be unable to restrain themselves and call the number in order to take the piss. Here in the UK people enter 141 before they call a number in order to stop CallerID.

Is there any way of me achieving this?

Thanks for any advice.

Last night someone broke into my car and took it for a drive.

I have an idea of who it may be, but of course cannot be sure, nor is this any form of evidence.

The only thing I can think of to try to catch the SOAB is for me to put notices around my area asking people who may of seen anything to call a cell phone number.

I'm hoping the person(s) who did it may be unable to restrain themselves and call the number in order to take the piss. Here in the UK people enter 141 before they call a number in order to stop CallerID.

Is there any way of me achieving this?

Thanks for any advice.

Have them call the number, try to accurately find out if the thief calls, and call the cops and let them know that the thief called your number at so and so time, so that they can go and bug your cell company for the billing number? Just cause you don't see the caller id doesn't mean your cell phone company doesn't.

Yeah this is a good idea.

Thanks very much mate! It's real appreciated :)

Why don't you find a friend who uses asterisk and get an DID to use as the trap number. Then you don't have to worry about tracing a cell call.

Does that stuff work the same in the UK as it does in the US? it should, I'm pretty sure I've made successful spoofs in the past to the UK and random spots in Europe, so it should work the other way around; To trap the number calling an asterisk box.

Why don't you find a friend who uses asterisk and get an DID to use as the trap number. Then you don't have to worry about tracing a cell call.

Does that stuff work the same in the UK as it does in the US? it should, I'm pretty sure I've made successful spoofs in the past to the UK and random spots in Europe, so it should work the other way around; To trap the number calling an asterisk box.

You can spoof in the UK, but it is sometimes difficult to find a provider that allows you to set outbound CID (at least a UK CID, once you spoof a US CID, and place the international call, it always works). I'm not 100% about this, but I seem to recall that when blocking Caller ID in the UK, it doesn't just set the privacy bit, it also passes null fields as the Caller ID. Again, I'm not 100% about this. I have a few UK DID's, so maybe this weekend I'll try it out. One this going for you though is that the UK has no trap-and-trace laws...