Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

Local Service

3 posts in this topic

So I was looking through a few listings to test something with, and instinctively, I did a ported number dip first to make sure it's hitting the right switch. It turns out, like, half the listings have been ported over to some random CLEC. Having stayed at a number of hotels that've ported their numbers over, I can tell you that this isn't a VoIP thing - in all of the occasions I've experienced firsthand, they're still using POTS or T1s, and a lot of the time, they even end up on the same switch as before - the only difference is it's going through some other company as a reseller.

So just curious, why is this?

The original telco has to lease out numbers and line access on demand (federal regulations require it), and the reseller gets it for cheap, and sells it for cheaper than the telco can/wants to.

Often times CLECs have switches co-located at the same CO building as the ILEC switch.

Since most of these buildings were built many years ago for older analog switches that took up multiple rooms or floors that now have a DMS or 5E in the back corner - the rest of the building is pretty much empty. The ILEC rents out the building to CLECs (they pretty much have to by law) and they can have a very similar 5E or DMS a the ILEC.

Or, the ILEC is operates the copper outside plant from the CO to the premise, and then multiplexes it on a T1 or T3 (actually a DS3) to a CLEC. I've seen this as well.

A number of hotels use CLECs now. I stayed in a hotel a while back that used Cox cable as their CLEC - and even their COCOT pay phones were on Cox!

And finally there are just resellers of POTS lines from the ILEC. They buy them in bulk and then resell them.