brymstone

Free Internet Access through Skype

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a Skype subscription with a landline number, and Pretty May Call Centre for handling the subscription's inbound calls. I also have free landline calls on my mobile call plan. Is there any way I'd be able to set my Skype number as an internet connection number on my mobile, then have Pretty May handle it in a way which lets me get online? The last part I think might be the trickiest. Just curious though.

You need internet access to use skype, though I guess you could technically do dial-up over skype. Not sure why thought if you already have a connection to use skype.

...as an internet connection number on my mobile...

To get online from my mobile when I'm away from home.

If you're using your phone as a dialup modem via skype you must have a dataplan and a phone that will tether, why not just use it

If you're using your phone as a dialup modem via skype you must have a dataplan and a phone that will tether, why not just use it

Assuming Skype would give you a decent enough connection to hold a dial-up call, it'd be like trying to use a tor server in the Congo. Seriously, even from a POTS line, dial-up gives you ~140 ms ping to Google. 

VOIP accounts are not like POTS Lines. VOIP uses voice codecs optimized for voice, so data connections suffer. Same reason faxing over VOIP was bad until they came out with fax/data specific codecs.

don't have a data plan. the rates are extortionate. and i'm not tethering it. i mean getting online from my phone.

VOIP accounts are not like POTS Lines. VOIP uses voice codecs optimized for voice, so data connections suffer. Same reason faxing over VOIP was bad until they came out with fax/data specific codecs.

so how does it normally work, going online from your phone? i mean, at the receiving end. what takes place? and would there be anything i could run on my computer to do the same job?

Yes, but you can use uLaw over VoIP. Regardless of what codec you're using, the delay in the IP->TDM conversion process can keep data connections at bay too.

so how does it normally work, going online from your phone? i mean, at the receiving end. what takes place? and would there be anything i could run on my computer to do the same job?

A handshake takes place between the two modems before the authentication and PPP session. You could probably find some way to kluge a modem, or some software emulation of a modem to run over voice path of your cell, but even then, as chaostic pointed out, the codec is going to stop you flat. I've heard of this being done before, but I figure you'd be lucky to get anything over 1200 baud.

don't have a data plan. the rates are extortionate. and i'm not tethering it. i mean getting online from my phone.

Have you looked into DNS tunneling by any chance?

Thanks for the heads up, ThoughtPhreaker! I'll look into uLaw, and found this pretty explanatory read about tunneling. I've also downloaded AsteriskNOW for my Eee PC. Should be interesting to see how it compares to Pretty May. I'm still interested in finding a way to establish a data connection from my mobile (HTC Kaiser) to my Skype number so I can use my home connection while away from it. But for now, these will keep me learning some more about related subjects.

Cheers ;)

Have you looked into DNS tunneling by any chance?

T-Mobile gives real DNS without having a real data plan, I know at least that much for sure. Who's your cell carrier?

Orange. But I really have no intention of using their data plans again. They're already shafting me with my Eee PC 901GO. £25pcm for a 3Gb cap! Even though it's HSDPA, the cap is crap. I've asked them if they'd be offering something which competes with 3's 15GB for £15pcm deal. One of their reps told me they have absolutely nothing remotely similar planned (that he could see at his end) for the near future.

Edited by brym

I assume this is the reason why if you send a file while talking to someone on skype, it sends at a miserably slow speed, i.e. bytes per second, but if you put the call on hold it does a good job of using up all your upload bandwidth?

I assume this is the reason why if you send a file while talking to someone on skype, it sends at a miserably slow speed, i.e. bytes per second, but if you put the call on hold it does a good job of using up all your upload bandwidth?

No. That has nothing to do with voip voice codecs and everything to do with your ISP limiting your upload bandwidth. File transfers are not actually sent through the voice channel.

What he was talking about is the way the audio for the voice is encoded, it really mangles sounds like modem noise.

No. That is bandwidth throttling, QOS, packet prioritization/queuing. With things like vonage and hardware voice adaptors acting as another router that can ensure that it tries to use the most bandwidth that your network has for voice when you are trying to use voice.

Also, some dsl connections (Don't know about cable) get degrading upload speeds if you are also downloading alot. Using both up and down is worse than using them individually.

Interesting stuff here. I have a friend of mine that has a pbx system running in his house using asterix and trixbox as the HUD. From what i have learned from him so far he had installed what they call a "quiet line" from the phone company to help with the VOIP connection problem. As far as the mobile phone connecting to the skype, I will ask him if he has any suggestions on that and see if there might be a way around the issue. But all i know of so far is that he tethers to the pbx system.