Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lostbaka

Using camera pan\tilt head as Az\El rotor

3 posts in this topic

Has any tried and\or is it even possible to use a security camera motorized pan\tilt head as an antenna Az\El rotator? If it's doable, i figure it's cheaper than getting the Yaesu G-5500. the end goal would be to have a head that can be controlled by one of the satellite tracking programs like Nova or Wxtrack.

thanks,

lostbaka

Has any tried and\or is it even possible to use a security camera motorized pan\tilt head as an antenna Az\El rotator? If it's doable, i figure it's cheaper than getting the Yaesu G-5500. the end goal would be to have a head that can be controlled by one of the satellite tracking programs like Nova or Wxtrack.

thanks,

lostbaka

Most camera pan/tilt x/y motors are simple dumb motors with two sets of wires that would go to the camera for control. If you have a way of controlling them for your antenna, it should work.

I've been actually working on this for a few years now... but keep slacking or get sidetracked.

My goal was to create a az/el for the arrow antenna that could be setup on a tripod so that I can be a greedy capitolist and sell the product to backpackers and mobile operators.

So I bought a tripod and attached my arrow antenna to it. Even though they say it only uses 16oz/in of force to hold the antenna up, I could definitely see some strain on the tripod.

I did purchase a az/el type of mount from servocity but it lacks the enclosure and such that I want. So right now, I'm at the stage of working up some CAM drawings for a 3d printer or plastic injection prototyper/metal shop fab to build.

The plus side is that I did write some code for the Parallax Servo Controller and the corresponding DDE piece for Orbitron so that it could track a satellite. And it seems to work.

---

Another idea I had was to use something like a Celestron/Meade setup with the handheld tracker but you'd want something beefy, you'd want to counterbalance it and you'd want to make sure the controller can be updated remotely by computer so that keps are up to date.