chown

What hosting do you use?

14 posts in this topic

I wanted to collect some first-hand accounts of what's out there what the standards are in terms of shared web hosting.

Personally I use Bluehost and Dreamhost for most of my websites. Both of them support just about everything a dedicated server would have (SSH, unrestricted PHP/CGI/Ruby/etc, intelligent support staff), plus unlimited bandwidth and disk (something of which I'm a bit skeptical).

Dreamhost is very user-friendly, and they have their own proprietary management software which is easy to use and lets you do relatively advanced things with ease (1-click installs). The problem is that it's difficult/impossible to change some advanced settings, and for the one-click installs you're not gonna be installing any plugins for your drupal or phpbb when you choose 'simple mode'. Also, Dreamhost has some trouble coping with high demand (200k+ hits/day). The site I had there slowed right down at peak times and was impossible to reach for the most part, spitting out 503 errors at anyone trying to access it. But at the end of the day, Dreamhost is cheap and easy to use, making it excellent for new users. However, be ready to move your site when it gets popular.

Bluehost is the company I moved the website to, and it's now handling 500k hits/day, 200GB/month fine. (That's hits, not unique users - which is around 2000). I had to set up a cron job to kill runaway php processes that were causing internal server errors, but that was mostly due to crap PHP coding on my part. Bluehost runs the classic CPanel software that most people are familiar with. This allows very detailed and advanced customisation with ease. I prefer Bluehost, mostly because I'm surprised their hosting can handle half a million hits a day for 7 bucks a month.

So what hosting do you use, and what do you think of it?

I was using netfirms, a canadian host. 20 for 1 year hosting + two free domains. They gyped me on the second domain this year round (Used the promotion twice.) netfirms.com/max for the promotion.

Just switched over to Dreamhost for 10 for 1 year hosting + 1 free domain. Also for the imap access to email. Code 777.

Just using it as a basic site and file access.

I've been using GoDaddy for web hosting. No complaints; good service for the one time I did use it and it handles getting Slashdotted/Dugg very well.

On a sore point, their default traffic logger is analog 6.0 with Report Magic, which doesn't have the ability to filter by date. That really makes much of the stats meaningless.

Edited by Seal

I used to use dreamhost, and while I did find the one-click installs very handy, there was a lot I didn't like. For one, there was a load of downtime. Maybe once every two months something would go awry and I'd lose the site for a day. There was also the problem of after this downtime, the server clock would be messed up, so I'd be doing wordpress posts that thought they were in the year 2011. They also had a thing about the maximum number of concurrent connections. At the time, I was thinking of mirroring a load of video files and limiting the number of connections with .htaccess but they seemed to block the setting that allowed this, and I'm not sure if I ever found a way to do it properly.

Irongeek has a pretty good review of Dreamhost here which I consulted, http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=reviews/dreamhost

Currently, I have a friend hosting me on hid dedicated server from hostgator, but that isn't shared hosting like you're looking for reviews on.

I was using netfirms, a canadian host. 20 for 1 year hosting + two free domains. They gyped me on the second domain this year round (Used the promotion twice.) netfirms.com/max for the promotion.

Just switched over to Dreamhost for 10 for 1 year hosting + 1 free domain. Also for the imap access to email. Code 777.

What's netfirms like? Any good? What do you think of it in comparison to Dreamhost?

I've been using GoDaddy for web hosting. No complaints; good service for the one time I did use it and it handles getting Slashdotted/Dugg very well.

On a sore point, their default traffic logger is analog 6.0 with Report Magic, which doesn't have the ability to filter by date. That really makes much of the stats meaningless.

Yeah I used to use GoDaddy up until about a year ago. I don't really like GoDaddy. I dislike the design and layout, and find the website in general to be horribly cluttered. From what I can remember, the control panel access was terribly slow for some reason -- to the extent that I would go make coffee while waiting for a page to load.

I currently use Dreamhost, but I'm planning on moving to heroku for my actual site hosting (my new one will be rails based) and Google for hosting my email.

I use Fatcow, it's 60 bucks a year, with a free domain.

Unlimited bandwidth

Unlimited Disk Space

Etc.

I use:

- Dreamhost: no real complaints here, it works for my needs and has everything one would expect.

- WebHostingBuzz: I really wouldn't recommend it, I haven't had problems recently but a while back there were some pretty big problems. The only consolation is that is is really, really cheap.

I use Fatcow, it's 60 bucks a year, with a free domain.

Unlimited bandwidth

Unlimited Disk Space

Etc.

I was going to go with Fatcow before I settled with Bluehost. The reason I avoided it was because I wanted to ask their sales team a few questions before signing up, and, well they didn't have a clue.

What's netfirms like? Any good? What do you think of it in comparison to Dreamhost?

Since my use amounts to file storage and really, just my own domain + email, can't complain. Netfirms and dreamhost should be on the same level.

Edit: As a side note, I could never get scp or secureftp to work with netfirms. Ssh worked with a bit of lag in logging in. Dreamhost, worked in two minutes.

Edited by chaostic

I use Hostcell for a local business website I run. I chose it because it's free and it hosts python/ruby scripts along with the usual cPanel / PHP / FTP / MySQL setup. It doesn't have any bullshit like banner ads, or having to post into forums, or unexpected downtimes. It's actually pretty nice for a completely free host. I don't know what their customer service is like...luckily I haven't had to deal with it at all B).

I've been using Dathorn for a number of years for my own hosting as well as reselling, which pays for the hosting bill and a couple bucks extra.