r4p1d

Phone Phreaking

10 posts in this topic

I'm not a Phone phreaker by any means, I'd appreciate it if some of you guys could help me out and send me in the right direction.

I'm a noob at Phreaking, I'd like to change that.

Where do I start?

Scan. Every time someone asks, I tell them the same. The only way you will know the phone system is to go check it out.

Some jerk with the same name as me wrote a couple of articles on the subject a few years back. they can be found on Oldskoolphreak.com, among other places.

Phreaking is mostly a dead art. Most boxes are useless now, and only wardialing might be useful :(

Phreaking is mostly a dead art. Most boxes are useless now, and only wardialing might be useful :(

How exactly can scanning be useful? And how do I go about scanning?

Phreaking is much more than just boxing...

Not to mention, the only boxes that are "useless now" are the Blue, Black, and sometimes Red. All of the other boxes that ever actually worked, still work - although one could argue that many of those were never "useful" to begin with.

I don't understand how Phreaking could be dead in an era when everyone has a phone in their pocket 24/7. Pus VoIP, and Asterisk; it should be more alive than ever... should.

How exactly can scanning be useful? And how do I go about scanning?

http://oldskoolphreak.com/tfiles/phreak/ex_scan.txt

Edited by decoder

You should definitely look into VoIP. That's where I'm at now. Look into Asterisk, and SIP.

PM me and I'll give you a suit of tools for hacking this kind of stuff. I just don't really want this to be available to all the nubs out there.

Not to mention, the only boxes that are "useless now" are the Blue, Black, and sometimes Red. All of the other boxes that ever actually worked, still work - although one could argue that many of those were never "useful" to begin with.

Your satirical humor tends to be quite humorous, but sadly many people probably didn't even catch on to it, and took that comment seriously. Also the black box truly is useless nowadays.

I must strongly disagree with you. Rather than go into a long explanation, I'll just say that old phreaking techniques are still possible/plausible, and proof has been shown. There's simply a smaller amount of activity with the "old skool." Someone stole my name as well, and decided to make this red boxing textfile on the very same http://www.oldskoolphreak.com site. Seems to make a lot of sense though; I can't argue.

Let me also comment that VoIP is just the evolution of phreaking, though a lot of it has also fucked up the great telephone network we used to have. It also spawned a lot of noobs who call themselves "phreakers" because they can write code for Asterisk.

Edited by Royal

You're forgetting about the green box. I'm not going to say that's useless, though. There've been times when I've been on a phone trip that I've heard distant switches send MF back for coin control purposes. Attached is an example of a DMS-10 in rural Virginia doing just that. For the record, it's sending a 0 to tell my switch of the operator's presence.

Pus VoIP, and Asterisk; it should be more alive than ever... should.

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I sincerely do feel that's part of the problem. It seems like a lot of the people are too busy playing with some asterisk script to get their hands dirty with the real network. Even if you're too lazy to scan, I've been telling people since I was, like, fourteen that there's interesting bugs and ways to fool modern switches into doing cool things. If that's not your fancy, there's plenty of other stuff that's just a quick look away.

Where do I start?

When you get a sec, make a quick look through the 2003/2004 section on this board, back when it was booming on activity. http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/ is good for a bit of inspiration. Here's a couple of other things;

http://www.phreaksan...coder/espt2.txt

http://antilimit.net/index.php?post=11

http://www.2600.com/...1991/112091.mp3

http://audio.textfil...s/defaultradio/

coincontrol-op.mp3

www.phonetrips.com

Listen to

# Network Sounds of the 70's, part 1 (1971-1981)

# Network Sounds of the 70's, part 2 (1976-1981)

# STACKING local offices: Elizabeth City NC Area part 3 (Summer, 1978)

# Step in Nantes Quebec, part 1 (August, 2001)

# Step in Nantes Quebec, part 2 (August, 2001)

# Step in Nantes Quebec, part 3 Warning: LOTS of technobabble. (August, 2001)

# Some LD calls from coin and home phones in Wellfleet, MA (July, 1974)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, Introduction

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 1:

Calls to Centralized Intercept (February 1977, June 1976)

Optional

(# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 2:

The Hempstead-White Plains Route (June 1976)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 3:

Anecdotes, Centralized Intercept, #5 Crossbar (February 1977, June 1976)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 4:

An Assortments of Calls via Hempstead Tandem 3 (June 1976)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 5:

Centralized Intercept Calls via New York 7 (February 1977)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 6:

Calls to NY State's 315 NPA (Summer 1977)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 7:

More calls to NY State's 315 NPA (Summer 1977)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 8:

DDD from Panel, 4M Dialpulsing (1977)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 9:

DDD from #1 Crossbar, ANI Failures, NX1 Sounds (1974-1977)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 10:

Calls to -- and through -- NX1's (1974-1976)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 11:

Centralized Intercept, NX1 Test Board, NX1 Tandem calls (1974-1976)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 12:

More NX1's, Receiving a Stacked Call, Hempstead-White Plains Route (1974-1977)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 13:

DDD Demo Recordings (1971-1975), SP1 Tandems (1976)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 14:

SP1's, SFing Augusta Step Tandem (1976-77))

THESE ARE A MUST LISTEN :)

# The Sounds of Long Distance, pgm. 15:

4M & XBT Audible Dialpulsing, Calling France, Forced Reroutes (1974-1982)

(More parts coming eventually.)

# Dialing Those Mysterious "1xx" and "0xx" Codes (1974-1980)

# Dialing the "1xx" Codes from Greenville NC Coin Phones, part 1 (1978,1980)

# Dialing the "1xx" Codes from Greenville NC Coin Phones, part 2 (1978,1980)

# Classic Tandem Stacking (January, 1975)

# Two Early Voice Recognition Systems (1972-74, 1980)

# A HiFi 914 Routings tape, part 1 (December, 1975)

# A HiFi 914 Routings tape, part 2 (1975)

Edited by IndexPhinger

Phreaking isnt dead, blah blah etc etc. r4p1d well done for wanting to take the first steps in phreaking. For a start you should learn how the PSTN works, for a read I highly recommend "The Broadband Telecommunications Handbook" it covers everything from ADSL to SS7. Also most boxes are for the most part (here in the UK a few work still) to learn what is myth, fact and dead take a look at this it's a review of all phreaking boxes encountered by the clone, he gives well argued reasons as to why it's myth, fact or dead.

I also noticed you said why wardial? I am going to assume for arguments sake that you have checked out the "interesting numbers" thread, most if not all of those numbers have been found from either wardialling or "hand scanning". You will also encounter other cool things that you will want to sit and work out what it is. Another reason I personally wardial is it enables me to swap my cool finds with other people which in turn enables me to explore a little further.

I personally am not a massive VoIP fan, and I despair when people go "hurrrr install asterisk" well sure VoIP is the new frontier in phreaking, hell it enables you to manipulate SS7 indirectly however it isnt the be all and end all of phreaking be sure to remember that.

Next up as decoder said, that phone in your pocket is fairly capable of doing some pretty cool shit take a look around a few forums you will see for yourself. Another thing well worth researching is DECT hacking/phreaking dedected has all the information you need. Last but not least I highly recommend watching and reading this lecture essentially it gives you a look into how SS7 on the mobile network works.

I hope you find this info useful and please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

RP