TWSS88

Can't Change MAC for Cable Modem

8 posts in this topic

Verified that NetworkAddress values in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}

are being added and altered for both my non-virtual network interfaces:

NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (on MoBo)

ARRIS TOUCHSTONE DEVICE (Cable Modem)

And these new NetworkAddress values for NVIDIA Ethernet DO show as current values when I run ipconfig.exe /all

But the new NetworkAddress values for ARRIS Cable Modem are NOT showing as current values when I run arp.exe -a

ARRIS Cable Modem = Cadant Inc, and I am using the assigned 00015c OID prefix

in my new NetworkAddress value attempts (mantaining the OID, altering only the last six).

00015c does show as the prefix when I run arp.exe –a, but the last six remain unchanged.

This is on XP Pro and yes I am doing a complete power off in between attempts -- also powers off the Cable Modem.

Shouldn’t this ARRIS Cable Modem be seen with the new value?

How to do this?

Thanks

Thanks darkstar,

I should have said that I was currently trying

MacMakeUp.exe and MadMACs.exe

and I believe they both use registry settings.

I'll check out the others.

Anyone,

Is there any point in changing ALL of these:

Host Name, IP Address, and both MACs (both Physical Addresses)?

Or would some of these be redundant?

Thanks

not if your sitting at your own house and have a router as it wont make any difference at all as the external ip will still be the same. but if your going to go cracking wep/using random hotspots the mac/name will be different and show that its a different computer.

Verified that NetworkAddress values in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}

are being added and altered for both my non-virtual network interfaces:

NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (on MoBo)

ARRIS TOUCHSTONE DEVICE (Cable Modem)

And these new NetworkAddress values for NVIDIA Ethernet DO show as current values when I run ipconfig.exe /all

But the new NetworkAddress values for ARRIS Cable Modem are NOT showing as current values when I run arp.exe -a

ARRIS Cable Modem = Cadant Inc, and I am using the assigned 00015c OID prefix

in my new NetworkAddress value attempts (mantaining the OID, altering only the last six).

00015c does show as the prefix when I run arp.exe –a, but the last six remain unchanged.

This is on XP Pro and yes I am doing a complete power off in between attempts -- also powers off the Cable Modem.

Shouldn’t this ARRIS Cable Modem be seen with the new value?

How to do this?

Thanks

Not to question what you're doing, but the CMTS router is not going to provision a new unknown MAC address, nor would a DOCSIS CM allow the burned-in mac address to be changed from the subscriber end.

>>question what you're doing

We should all be questioning what the Feds are doing with the HERF weaponry that has been in development since the 1950s. And that billions that are spent on unknown technologies every year. This

>>question what you're doing

We should all be questioning what the Feds are doing with the HERF weaponry that has been in development since the 1950s. And that billions that are spent on unknown technologies every year. This

not if your sitting at your own house and have a router as it wont make any difference at all as the external ip will still be the same. but if your going to go cracking wep/using random hotspots the mac/name will be different and show that its a different computer.

Seriously? I voted you back up one. I don't know why you were being repped down for saying something true and relevant to the topic. I wish people would use the rating system more appropriately.

Try using one of these tools.They All work Pretty well

http://www.gorlani.c...p/macmakeup.asp

I love Mac Makeup. It's incredibly user-friendly and will even generate MAC addresses at random.