Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockermm2

'dpkg --configure -a'

6 posts in this topic

I was trying to delete my old version of Firefox but it said i need to use the Synaptic Package Manger, and when i did it said that i needed to config 'dpkg --configure -a' and when i put it in the terminal it said that i need superuser privileges....and i kinda dont know what that is.....and i really cant do touch anything without dpkg --configure -a getting in the way. and im running Unbuntu.

It appears as though this forum has helped you with the same problem. Now this is the second time.

Seriously, not to come off as a douche, but if you're going to be using Linux, or at least hanging around here, it would be very beneficial to learn a little bit of Linux. In Ubuntu, even if you're logged into the first account, the owner account, whatever you want to call it, that does not give you root privileges. As a "security feature" in Ubuntu, anything you want executed as root needs a "sudo" in front of it.

If you want everything in your shell executed as root, a "sudo su-" should do it.

Edited by thepcdude

well thanks.....i havnt used this crap in a while...

well theres a issue coming up that i keep getting this.....E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

...and i know im stupid...i dont know what to do next...i need to update my flash player..

try

sudo apt-get update

if you havent used it in awhile your probably running old version of apt aswell and it may solve the problem to update all of the ubuntu files.

well theres a issue coming up that i keep getting this.....E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

...and i know im stupid...i dont know what to do next...i need to update my flash player..

Do you have synaptic open when running apt? You cant run two package managers at once.