Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

Advantage / Disadvantage to mount hard drive in folders

4 posts in this topic

I just bought a new hard drive, formatted and what not. During the installation of the hard drive in windows i noticed it gave me the option to mount in a NTFS folder. What are the advantages / disadvantages for wanting to do this? Is it to save drive letters (i don't know why you would need to)? is it a permissions thing?

just curious! Thanks

I just bought a new hard drive, formatted and what not. During the installation of the hard drive in windows i noticed it gave me the option to mount in a NTFS folder. What are the advantages / disadvantages for wanting to do this? Is it to save drive letters (i don't know why you would need to)? is it a permissions thing?

just curious! Thanks

maybe you could mount a drive to your documents and settings folder, then you could format your main drive and reinstall windows without worry of destroying data. I do that with my home folder in linux.

edit: im slightly embarrassed i said home folder instead of directory.

Edited by Lord Wud

In Unix this is standard practice. I don't know about the Windows implementation, but there's nothing wrong with the idea.

Mounting to a folder is useful for file sharing purposes when it is a portable drive.

Depending upon how often you plug in additional USB devices, when you unplug/plug back in the portable drive, it could be assigned a different drive letter each time. By mounting it to a folder and sharing that folder, you can ensure the share will be accessible over the network regardless of what drive letter is assigned to the drive.