Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ohm

Simple gadget guides unmanned drones

5 posts in this topic

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/07/infrared-beacons-guiding-cia-drone-strikes-qaeda-claims/

These devices are really simple. It's just a small circuit that powers an IR LED (or several of them). It can be programmed to flash, and can mimic a few seconds of another flashing LED. In effect, it can be used to transmit a message via Morse Code to anyone that can see it. Since it's an IR LED, you can't see it with the naked eye, but you can through night vision.

The goal here is to get someone to plant one of these devices on a target, or use them to relay messages to drones. The drones have some sort of infrared camera or FLIR system than can use to see these.

I just thought it was interesting. A small, hacked up gadget you could build from your parts drawer guides multi-million dollar drones. It's not like the spy movies where they plant some magical GPS device or something, it's a $5 device consisting of mostly an LED and a 9-volt battery. But of course someone has to put them there, and must have enormous testicles.

It's like laser painting an airstrike bombing target. Or how low tech grenades really are. If it works, it works.

Someone could have sense of humor by having it tap out in Morris Code: "Shoot me"

it would work for vehicles. but i dont see people taping them to the back of some guy. they could just coat it in glue like they did in ww2 for some grenades so they wouldnt bounce of the tanks. personally i would just make them the smallest they could posibly be by just making them blink of a watch battery atleast your talking a paintball then instead of a grenade. but then again they do have the capability to put micro circuits in leds.

Thinking about this, depending on the size and strength of the led, if we where talking 5mm commercial led (or even a silver dollar sized matrix of them), this would be useless in the daytime. Solar IR would drown it out like the daytime sun drowns out flashlights.

Even more so in snow/sand reflecting conditions (Places that can blind you from reflected sunlight without proper eye protection)

Edited by chaostic