Phail_Saph

Google Chrome Operating System

13 posts in this topic

Google Chrome OS was just announced.

We all knew it was coming right? Android, Chrome Browser(of which I'm a convert), etc. They also removed the 'beta' off of many of their products a couple days ago. I guess it should have warned us about something big, eh? They clinged to that 'beta' for the longest time.

Here's the Google Blog entry covering the announcement.

-----Phail_Saph-----

Edited by Phail_Saph

hmm. yeah thats true. i wont be trying it anytime soon though, mostly because i havent seen anything come out of google that was really worth using.

We all knew it was coming right? Android, Chrome Browser(of which I'm a convert), etc. They also removed the 'beta' off of many of their products a couple days ago. I guess it should have warned us about something big, eh? They clinged to that 'beta' for the longest time.

-----Phail_Saph-----

Who's your source? Engadget?

hmm. yeah thats true. i wont be trying it anytime soon though, mostly because i havent seen anything come out of google that was really worth using.

Sorry, this is an evil quote...but I just had to "LOL"

Just read it to yourself, I think you'll understand why I'm "LOLing"

"mostly because i havent seen anything come out of google that was really worth using"

Hmmm, how did you find this website?

LOLLloolloOLololOLollOLOlL

:thumbsu:

google-adsense.jpg

Edited by R4p1d

actually it was ask lols. as far as i understand from seeing a show about the creaters of google its just based off how many links any web page has to where it will be placed in their search. e.g. webpage with few/multiple/tens of million links to its self and a brute force dictionary would probably be on the first page for any word in the dictionary even though it would have nothing to do with anything. then you would just have to copy it like 10-15 times and it would pwn google. i mean the links number works but its not really "professional" and its usually just similar to what people want not actually what they want.its just a company made of hippocrits. they probably wont hire unprofessional people. but it may be a pretty good os if its like "google's" android which anyone can work on and say its still all made by google. just hope it doesnt turn out like rc.29 on the t-mobile g1.

-----Phail_Saph-----

I know you are trying to be sarcastic but the main source is the Official Google blog on this that I linked...it is as good as one can get...right?

-----Phail_Saph-----

This sounds really interesting, especially for netbook owners. They also just released an Android live CD you can boot on your PC. Google is branching out, if they play their cards right, they could have a dominant OS on both netbooks and phones. And considering phones outnumber PCs in terms of volume and sales, that really has to have Microsoft worried. But then again it could all fall flat and 10 years later we'll barely remember Google trying to break into the OS market.

The best thing that I can see coming out of this is Chrome's Linux version should see leaps and bounds of improvement as they push towards this. Having used the alpha dev-channel releases for the past month or so, it works really well but it is definitely not "there" yet. However, if it is going to be the lynch pin of their entire OS, I would expect that by the time ChromeOS ships it will have all the polish (perhaps more?) of the Windows release. Really a great situation for Linux users, even if they don't plan to switch distributions.

Yeah, I must say, I'm pretty excited. I can see good things coming from an open-source *nix-based OS from one of the biggest companies out there right now. And considering the amount of people that Chrome already has as a user-base, I think the OS will have potential. We'll just have to see.. :)

I feel slightly split by this. On the one hand it's nice to see a company with the deep pockets of Google pushing open source software and i hope this will bring more people to Linux, or at least make them aware of it and appreciate it for its strengths. On the other hand i would hate to see Google have such a monopoly. If they control the cloud and they control your computer then they pretty much have everything. Way too much for a single company, especially one who makes so much money from data mining.

On top of that i dont see what's so special about this. Isnt this just a linux kernel with a customer window manager and chrome? I havent read the blog yet so maybe someone could elaborate.

I feel slightly split by this. On the one hand it's nice to see a company with the deep pockets of Google pushing open source software and i hope this will bring more people to Linux, or at least make them aware of it and appreciate it for its strengths. On the other hand i would hate to see Google have such a monopoly. If they control the cloud and they control your computer then they pretty much have everything. Way too much for a single company, especially one who makes so much money from data mining.

On top of that i dont see what's so special about this. Isnt this just a linux kernel with a customer window manager and chrome? I havent read the blog yet so maybe someone could elaborate.

google iz taking over ze world!

Mainscreen1.jpg

-----Phail_Saph-----

I know you are trying to be sarcastic but the main source is the Official Google blog on this that I linked...it is as good as one can get...right?

-----Phail_Saph-----

Haha, no.

I refreshed my page on engadget and saw that they has just posted an article about the new OS.

And then I refreshed the page on binrev and saw that you had created a new thread about it.

Ironic, I know.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was just pondering the fact that it may not be a coincidence, so I asked.

I wonder what glitches it will have. The.....goog screen of death? -_-