Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jason87x

building linux from scratch on the asus eee

8 posts in this topic

has anyone tried it? done it successfully?

btw i use the asus 900a

can lfs be built with a plain vanilla kernel? or are there special asus eee specific kernels people have to be able to use the hardware? i know there is something different with the sound such that the normal sound drivers don't work, you have to download something for that, anyone know what I'm talking about and where to get it?

the arch and ubuntu for eee instructions all point to random ubuntu or arch specific kernels... i really dont want that unless absolutely necessary

the kernels from the asus website are .deb so it would have to be debian based i guess, i mean if u wanted full support of everything..

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us select eeefamily, eepc, and 904a or whatever and it will be under source there is source for the whole linux thats on it and just the kernel.

well thank you but lol i was looking for a source tarball to compile, not a debian based thing. though what you posted could be good for other things. lol i'm also trying to figure out where to get the thing special to solve the sound issue people have mentioned.

o well thats all i could find lols. imguessing the asus kernel's wont have sound issues though as they dont with the defualt xandros

You could be doing this on the EeePC, but I would recommend doing it on a faster computer first. The kernel issues are really the least of your problems, these can be solved when you get to that stage. Actually learning how to build everything is the hard part. They're not all just "./configure && make && make install" and you'll probably end up making mistakes and having to do things over again. Doing it in the first place on the slow Eee will be tough, having to re-do parts or all of it will be even harder.

The kernel issues are all for "optional" stuff. I'm pretty sure the wires ethernet works with the stock kernel, but you'll probably have trouble with wifi and sound. That's not a big issue, and I suggest you think about solving that when and if you get there.

ok so i found out that you need to put in /etc/modprobe.conf:

options snd-hda-intel

or something like that.

Thing is, what in the kernel config do i need to make a module?

You may want to check out EasyPeasy, I installed it on my friends 900. It is a lot nicer than the default Xandros install.