Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

Confcon

27 posts in this topic

PhreakerD7 and I had this idea of making a conf of epic proportions. Only con style, with actual topics and stuff like that. Whether you're planning ahead or just think you'll have a saturday with nothing to do, sign up, and we'll reserve you a channel.

http://www.confcon.org/

Oh, right, and if you have anything to talk about, submissions are more than welcome :) .

Yeah, if there was any conference call to be at this year, its definitely this one. We already have a couple great talks in the works, and we're currently getting some phreaking groups behind us (not just US ones, we're currently trying to work out some things with a couple international groups)

Its gonna be a great conf call, and I hope to see a lot of you there :)

EDIT: Sorry if any of you guys tried to sign up and got an error. It should be fixed now. Sorry again!

Edited by PhreakerD7

Sweet concept, but won't this be a little crowded? I mean, just having 5 or 6 people on a line gets crazy. Are you going to mute people during presentations and whathaveyou?

Either way, I love the idea and I'll prolly call in :)

Probably not unless it gets to be a problem. Businesses do confs with over a hundred people with shareholder meetings and things like that, though. As long as everybody is calm about the whole thing and talks in turn, we should be able to squeeze everybody in.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention, one of the confs we're bridging everything into has a form of noise cancellation aimed at preventing that, so that'll help out a bit.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Probably not unless it gets to be a problem.

Yeah, you're going to need to be able to mute all participants during presentations. Trust me.

What's wrong with just asking people to keep their phones on the DL? The noise canceling hardware only lets the loudest channel speak anyway.

Are you allowed to pre-record your talk or do you need to do it live?

Edit: Also it would be great if this could be recorded and given to audio.textfiles.com among other places.

Edited by Skunkworks

Are you allowed to pre-record your talk or do you need to do it live?

Edit: Also it would be great if this could be recorded and given to audio.textfiles.com among other places.

We were hoping you would give it live. We're trying to get the real feeling of a convention, so a pre-recorded talk might... diminish the effect xD

And yeah, we do plan to record the whole thing and post it to the site (and now that you mention it, audio.textfiles.com) We plan to host a full recording of the conf and with it broken into multiple pieces.

Also, ThoughtPhreaker and I have come up with a couple ideas to minimize abuse, but we're hoping that everyone maintains a professional appearance on the conf. We know its a long stretch, but we have faith.

What's wrong with just asking people to keep their phones on the DL? The noise canceling hardware only lets the loudest channel speak anyway.

*Tr0n 3-ways in a milliwatt*

*Tr0n 3-ways in a tone sweep*

We were hoping you would give it live. We're trying to get the real feeling of a convention, so a pre-recorded talk might... diminish the effect xD

And yeah, we do plan to record the whole thing and post it to the site (and now that you mention it, audio.textfiles.com) We plan to host a full recording of the conf and with it broken into multiple pieces.

Also, ThoughtPhreaker and I have come up with a couple ideas to minimize abuse, but we're hoping that everyone maintains a professional appearance on the conf. We know its a long stretch, but we have faith.

This conference is an interesting idea. The technical hurdles are... well, problems to be solved. That's part of the fun of it. Anytime you can get people together to discuss and learn, you gain something. You even learn from the problems that arise. So, it's worth it just as an experiment.

good luck!

Thanks.

We do realize that there are lots of problems and issues, but we're doing everything in our power to make it run as smoothly as possible. We can't guarantee anything, but we have high hopes. We've already got some great talks lined up (I'll be posting a list to the site shortly) and we've got some cool groups backing us at this point (and we're still adding more)

I'd love to see as many of you guys there as possible!

Edited by PhreakerD7

Count me in-I'll be a good a good boy-yes I will :devil:

Word. Anybody lookin to participate, just sign-up on the site and you'll be assigned a conf number. We're currently working on getting support for international callers, and we might have something setup special for you UK dialers out there.

What if I use VoIP (Skype or Vonage) to dial in? Wouldn't that bypass your no support for international residents?

Edited by Seal

What if I use VoIP (Skype or Vonage) to dial in? Wouldn't that bypass your no support for international residents?

Yeah, actually, thats a good point.

If any of you guys have Skype or some other means of connecting to US numbers, by all means sign up on the site as a non-international member. That'll drop you a conf number and you can feel free to call in to that for confcon '09.

Thanks for bringing that up, Seal. We are still trying to find a way to make dialing into this conf internationally easier. So stay tuned for updates!

EDIT: Yeah, turns out I accidentally made an error in the date of the call. Its actually on the 25th. NOT the 23rd. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Edited by PhreakerD7

Sounds good. Confcon is a great idea, and I'm really looking forward to this :)

Edited by Seal

Why not pipe it into a Skype conf? That way people won't even need to dial U.S. numbers.

We may work things like that out in the future. But for right now, I think we're gonna stick to this. If we get a lot of people wanting to do it over Skype, then I suppose we may. We just wanted to keep it off VoIP as much as possible, due to things like call quality, reliability and, well, just to help bring back the old school phreaking vibe. Like I said, things may change in the future though. We're certainly open to new ideas.

I'm not suggesting that you do it over VoIP. I'm suggesting that you have somebody call in with Skype to the talks and then host a conf on Skype. Thus people can connect to that conf on skype and listen in. The voip sound quality issues will only be on the listeners' end.

And you will need to keep the listeners muted. toning or no toning people will be listening in from cars, households with young children (or babies) who will cry and yelp and scream. You'll hear pets and weird alien abductions. That's going to seriously cause problems with the talks being heard clearly.

It's not as if anyone needs to ask permission anyway lol. Any of the participants can just go ahead and bridge into a Skype conf regardless. I suppose you guys should talk that amongst yourselves.

Here's a logo for you guys:

post-1317-124701414935_thumb.png

Edited by Seal

This is a phreaking (pun intended) great idea; I love it and hope to be able to 'attend'!

Will it be recorded by the people putting it on for posterity's sake or will that responsibility fall to the public (or will it be forbidden for some reason)?

Killer logo, Seal, I love it man :)

n3xg3n: We do plan to be recording it, probably having at least 2 people recording it, in case something happens to one. If at all possible, we ask that 1 or 2 of you try to record it, just in case something catastrophic happens and both of our recorders fail. We *do* want a recording of the entire conference.

Thanks for all the support so far guys!

Here it is /with/ the text:

post-1317-124709484581_thumb.png