thepcdude

Booting \Windows

6 posts in this topic

I have recovered everything from a hard drive in perfect condition, including directories etc. It's the standard Windows folder along with all the other crap. I'm formatting the disk to get it back up and running, and copying the data back. But apparently there was some sort of boot sector failure or partition table failure. The format should fix both, but when I put the files back on, it won't boot will it? Do I need to set up the boot sector in some way to make it boot off of \Windows properly again?

*Sorry, I just noticed I completely screw up "booting" in the Thread Title. Booting, not botting :) *

Edited by Ohm

I fixed your title for you.

I wouldn't even bother trying something like this. Windows doesn't like to survive transplant attempts. I'd just reinstall, it doesn't take that long and you end up with a fresh copy anyway.

What you are trying to do requires making an image of the disk. After the image is created you can then put it onto another harddrive or this one. However, windows is keen these days as what you were trying to do and what I'm suggesting are also means for people to distribute pirated versions of windows. Windows saves values for a system that's been keyed and if it detects substantial changes requires you to acquire a new key, attempting to prevent this form of pirating.

Your case doesn't require a new key, since it is the same machine. The caveat here is that even though you copyied the windows directory and everything else...I'm also assuming that you exported and then imported the registry values, very important, correctly...a boot loader wasn't installed on the new system. Copying files does not copy the boot loader which for all intents and purposes is invisible to the copy function (imaging does). However, formating your drive does destroy the previously installed boot loader. This is the most probably reason for your error; less probably is that your harddrive is damaged in those sectors.

I second what Ohm suggested.

-----Phail_Saph-----

I have recovered everything from a hard drive in perfect condition, including directories etc. It's the standard Windows folder along with all the other crap. I'm formatting the disk to get it back up and running, and copying the data back. But apparently there was some sort of boot sector failure or partition table failure. The format should fix both, but when I put the files back on, it won't boot will it? Do I need to set up the boot sector in some way to make it boot off of \Windows properly again?

*Sorry, I just noticed I completely screw up "booting" in the Thread Title. Booting, not botting :) *

NOOOO dont format it :P

do a Chkdsk and then a FixMBR then a Fixboot.

should fix it, or if not do a 2nd repair on it. which is basically installing windows over again, your stuff will be there but it needs to be reinstalled anyway.

SHIIIIIT!!!!

*rages*

I don't feel like installing XP on the craptop :'(

Well, tomorrow, I'm taking on my biggest challenge. The data is very valuable. I'm going to mount the drive as readonly, make a disk image so that I can carve files out of there as a last resort, and try to boot up into Windows Recovery Console to do a chkdsk and fixmbr. Hopefully this will work -__-

if you have it/can get it easily, win 7, it wont boot the same /win but it will be able to run any of the programs there. also you can try to fix windows during the live boot of the dvd.