criticalmass

Linux on a Netbook

30 posts in this topic

If I could offer my two cents; I think xubuntu would be what you are looking for. The xfce desktop has enough of what you need and is not a resource hog like Gnome or KDE(no offence to anyone on here). I installed xubuntu (standard desktop xubuntu not NBR with XFCE ) on my netbook via the flashdrive method and everything works like a charm. It was all up and running out of the box (with the minor exception of codec installation ect) but wireless ran without any tweaking,scripts or fooling around with mad-wifi. I say give it a try.

I'm currently running Xubuntu on my netbook, a Dell Mini 910. It works great, but I've been thinking of switching to Crunchbang to save space. My netbook has only an 8 GB solid-state drive, and while Xubuntu takes up a little over 3 GB, Crunchbang fits into about 2.5 GB. It also seems to run a bit faster than any of the *buntus.

17155839.gifProtip: If you need to optmimize disk space on a *buntu installation, uninstalling OpenOffice will free up about 400 MB of disk storage.

can always just do eeedebian for the madwifi drivers + lot lighter weight than debian + just as easy to install + its less incorporated then ubuntu + you can have any wm you want you dont have to download any different iso/dist just to get xfce. also you may want to upgrade to 4gb of ram if its supported.

can always just do eeedebian for the madwifi drivers + lot lighter weight than debian + just as easy to install + its less incorporated then ubuntu + you can have any wm you want you dont have to download any different iso/dist just to get xfce. also you may want to upgrade to 4gb of ram if its supported.

What the hell? You don't have to download a different iso or distro to get xfce.

i was poking fun at people being lazy and downloading kubuntu, ubuntu, xubunutu, to get kde, gnome; whatever just cuz their to lazy to do it themselves.