Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StankDawg

Google autocomplete oddity

8 posts in this topic

So sometimes I like to play with googles autocomplete feature to see if I can find funny stuff. For example try "laugh at my" and there is 1 funny result and 1 regular result. Not only do you find funny stuff, but sometimes you find other things that you may not have thought of. Try "kill all the" and look at the list.

Anyway, I was going to search for "go fuck" and see what people were willing to fuck in googles database. I expected to see "yourself" as the number one answer, but I only got through the "fu" when autocomplete kicked in and I got the screen shot that you see below:

post-1-1244771562_thumb.png

This is interesting because I had never seen a result that looks like that. I am guessing that this is an ad? Has google started allowing advertising in autocomplete now? I do not use google adwords anymore (see Defcon for the reason why) but I know that option to advertise in autocomplete was never there in the past and I have not found any others like this. Has anyone else seen this?

Google blocks out most really obvious or bad things like "suck my" but there is still some good stuff there. Post anything interesting that you might find.

That freebie game called "Combat Arms" comes up the same way. Just your typical search engine whoring I guess.

I like the "how to lose your friends and alienate people" when you start with "how to". I have no idea however if they're using this for advertisements, isn't it based on the search results?

I like to play with this sometimes too. I've never seen an ad embedded in it before but i have noticed that each country has different results which is kinda interesting. On top of that the way the results are displayed for google.com (compared to google.co.uk or google.co.jp etc) is different. google.co.uk doesnt highlight as you type and displays the number of results each search term has. I just tried it (google.com) with a few more search terms. The same things happens for "go daddy" and "slashdot". I'm sure there are many others. Interestingly, it even shows ads for uk companies.

I'm surprised gofuckyourself dot com (the adult webmaster forum) wasn't the first result

I'm surprised gofuckyourself dot com (the adult webmaster forum) wasn't the first result

I'd assume they filter most of the rude words

I'd assume they filter most of the rude words

I thought that was funny "gofuckyourself" so I went to see it and sure enough that's what the site is. Trouble is now I got a bot warning saying I was just infected remotely with a bot.

All I can say to everyone is : don't go there anytime soon since someone has probably infected that site with drive-by downloads.

:o

Edit : Now I'm back in business. 21 minutes later and the bot is gone - thanx disk imaging program :P - I restored the entire computer in just 19 minutes. Sure beats the old way, scanning and removing and hoping it worked.

Swell.

Edited by totallyAunti