howyadoin

VoIP and call quality

12 posts in this topic

The title says it.

I want to know if there's any VoIP programs where the call quality is equal to, or extremely close to, that of a landline. I have Skype now but frankly it sux rox. I have some calls where they can't hear me or I can't hear them, and then sometimes I call some phone compnay test number and it'll not even put the call through so I can hear what the number will do when it reaches it's destination - instead Skype will disconnect it instantly and say "invalid number". "Invalid number" my foot - I'll try the same damn numbers from my landline and the call goes through and I get a disconnected or call can't be completed as dialed recording.

Skype isn't letting me hear those recordings sometimes cause it'll disconnect before reaching the recording so I don't get hear what the number will do, so because of this and sometimes the hearing quality sucking I think Skype sucks.

So, I'm looking to change to another VoIP program .... except for one thing - are they all like this? Are there any equal to landline quality or damn close to it? Anyone know about this?

So, I'm looking to change to another VoIP program .... except for one thing - are they all like this? Are there any equal to landline quality or damn close to it? Anyone know about this?

well - better codecs -> better quality

not every VoIP provider is using these better ones so decide if you want to choose between

VoIP carrier or program itself ? because you can establish high quality VoIP communication between two endpoints

when you and your friend are using same codec (even with different softphones) and the quality may be superior to landline when using wideband codecs

I assume you want to call different ppl so I would suggest getting a decent softphone and then force to use only a selected codec

and not to rely on default settings

Any VoIP call using G.711 codec will have quality equal or better than a PSTN call.

well - better codecs -> better quality

not every VoIP provider is using these better ones so decide if you want to choose between

VoIP carrier or program itself ? because you can establish high quality VoIP communication between two endpoints

when you and your friend are using same codec (even with different softphones) and the quality may be superior to landline when using wideband codecs

I assume you want to call different ppl so I would suggest getting a decent softphone and then force to use only a selected codec

and not to rely on default settings

Actually my concern is when someone I call doesn't have VoIP and also when I scan for numbers and call those. So in these cases, the other end will not be VoIP most of the time.

Any VoIP call using G.711 codec will have quality equal or better than a PSTN call.

Under that logic, MagicJack should sound equal to a PSTN call. If you listen to Lucky's recording of the last default radio episode, though, that should quickly tell a different story. Not only do you have to worry about your provider having enough bandwidth to support the amount of calls they're looking for, there's also the issue of comfort noise, and other stupid bandwidth saving techniques used by carriers. Failurejack, for example, likes to superimpose fake ring over the the connection until it supervises. Oh, right, and not all PSTN long distance carriers that the calls terminate onto are the same. Some of them have bit raided T-carrier noise that gets slopped onto the call, and others have issues with a bit of audio loss on their trunks on more distant connections.

So anyway, if you want landline quality, I've heard that AT&T's voip service is pretty good, but as far as I'm concerned, if you really want the quality and reliability of a POTS line, just get a POTS line. 

But be careful of your long distance carrier. Even on good ole POTS you can get a crappy LD carrier that just resells VOIP and sounds like crap. The really cheap ones are like that. I think Pioneer Telephone is one of those I've heard you need to stay away from.

I have MagicCrap, but I just use it as a toy. There are ways to get it to work the way you want to, but you need to mess around with it. It used to be lots better when you could spoof your ANI (you can't do it anymore) but for the price, it's a neat thing to mess around with. I wouldn't replace my landline with it though. :lol:

Try one of Betamax daughter brands, they tend to have nice quality and 300 free minutes every 7 days.

Try one of Betamax daughter brands, they tend to have nice quality and 300 free minutes every 7 days.

Thanx :) . I'll try it.

I tried one Betamax called voipcheap.com. I tried to use it but it kept giving the same error, that went to their page which said it wasn't useable on Vista. That was funny considering their download page said it was! Duh.. I tried to tell them but none of the feedback pages allowed me to send this feedback cause this too had errors all over the place which wouldn't let you submit anything.

All I can say is, that's what taking drugs does to you (no wonder I never use), cause first you say "it runs on Vista" then you say "no it doesn't"... duh - can't even communicate in a way that makes sense, all from drug use. Retards.

Sorry, just venting.

Anyway.. I give up on this topic.

Sorry, just venting.

dude, this is wrong approach

I told you to get some softphone like for example zoiper or x-lite, next you enter SIP login/password; select G.711 codecs and voila

using their softphones with their choice of codecs is bad

Sorry, just venting.

dude, this is wrong approach

I told you to get some softphone like for example zoiper or x-lite, next you enter SIP login/password; select G.711 codecs and voila

using their softphones with their choice of codecs is bad

Both of those softphones want a SIP login. Well, I must not have that (whatever it is) since I tried it on both and got error messages and timeout errors.

Dummy me I tried entering in my VoIP login which is Skype, perhaps this is why it all failed. Maybe it's not SIP or compatible but I wouldn't know. I tried to find out what SIP is and couldn't figure it out - perhaps it's like Vonage..dunno.

Anywho I gave up again. Thanx anyway.

This is what will happen when you're too much of nubie with present day computers and internet stuff. Oh well. Perhaps I'll change my profile pic area to indicate this..ok, just decided I will (so people will know what they're getting into when talking to me..haha).

Edited by totallyAunti