Havoc

Should we worry ?

20 posts in this topic

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/06/h...curity-council/

Jeff Moss, aka “Dark Tangent” and the former hacker behind the annual DefCon hacker confab in Las Vegas, has been appointed to the Department of Homeland Security’s Advisory Council (HSAC).

BTW : shame on you WIRED

was a phreaker in high school — someone who cracks into phone systems to make calls on the telecom’s dime.

Nothing to much to worry about, like I say to almost everyone just be careful about who you talk to and about what to people. On a side note lucky the U.S has the statute of limitations ;)

Edited by radio_phreak

Worried? About what?

The Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC) provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary on matters related to homeland security. The Council is comprised of leaders from state and local government, first responder communities, the private sector, and academia.

What? Me worry?

Old-school hacker's proverb:

"Few things in life are as good as you hoped they would be, or as bad as you feared they might be."

levitis_leviathan

first of all I'm not feeling safe knowing the fact that a guy behind big conferences is pro Obama

I don't know what type of consulting he can provide if there is no clear understanding what phreaking is

first of all I'm not feeling safe knowing the fact that a guy behind big conferences is pro Obama

Who said he's pro-Obama? Who said anything about Obama at all? That doesn't even have much to do with Obama. And even if he were "pro-Obama," how would that change anything at all?

I don't know what type of consulting he can provide if there is no clear understanding what phreaking is

That doesn't have anything to do with anything (except the writers at Wired being dolts).

Who said he's pro-Obama? Who said anything about Obama at all?

why would you agree to consult if you disagree with current administration ?

who said ? for example FOX

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525428,00.html

That doesn't have anything to do with anything (except the writers at Wired being dolts).

yes it has, if I understand correctly he wasn't phreaking, just calling for free

so his advisory on phreak might be fatal

Why wouldn't you work to consult? Politics just don't matter here. It's good that there's someone who understands computer hacking on the board, not some over the hill ex-head of computer crimes at the FBI or something. I can think of many worse choices here.

Also, that Fox News article didn't say anything about Moss being "pro-Obama" either.

And the phreaking comment (not even made by him) is more than irrelevant.

Also, that Fox News article didn't say anything about Moss being "pro-Obama" either.

And the phreaking comment (not even made by him) is more than irrelevant.

well, certainly you don't read nor undertand

pro Obama is my personal opinion as I can't imagine for example this scenario - hate for Obama and love for Homeland Security

and the name Obama is mentioned by FOX

phreaking comment by magazine is less relevant, more important are his words of how he got into phreaking and when he stopped

Seriously, neither article mentions Moss' politics. As if it would matter anyway.

But... what should we be worried about again?

[comment deleted]

Edited by totallyAunti

Who said he's pro-Obama? Who said anything about Obama at all?

why would you agree to consult if you disagree with current administration ?

who said ? for example FOX

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525428,00.html

yes it has, if I understand correctly he wasn't phreaking, just calling for free

so his advisory on phreak might be fatal

Pro-Obama? Wtf and where the fuck are you getting that from the Fox News article? I agree with Ohm - there's nothing in neither the Foxnews nor the wired article that even covers that topic.

Get help sir, you're hallucinating from LSD.

If I understand correctly, he wasn't phreaking - he was calling free? Ok.... calling free is not part of phreaking sometimes. ;)

Seriously, neither article mentions Moss' politics. As if it would matter anyway.

But... what should we be worried about again?

Should we worry?

Worried about what? That he'll turn turncoat on those who like him... ? Guessing here ...Havoc never said exactly.

Edited by totallyAunti

Turncoat how? It's an advisory position. They write memos to the DHS about things happening in their area of expertise explaining why they are significant and answer questions and advise when situations come up. You also have to remember that this is DHS, not the FBI. I can't seem to find anything to be alarmed about here, so I really don't know what you're talking about.

Turncoat how? It's an advisory position. They write memos to the DHS about things happening in their area of expertise explaining why they are significant and answer questions and advise when situations come up. You also have to remember that this is DHS, not the FBI. I can't seem to find anything to be alarmed about here, so I really don't know what you're talking about.

"They write memos to the DHS about things happening in their area of expertise explaining why they are significant and answer questions and advise when situations come up." This is exactly what I meant by my guess. There are 2 scenarios I can think where his issuing memos on his area of expertise can become turncoat :

-he hears news of who is going to hack a secret fed computer, so he writes a memo on who it is that will do it (naming names) and how they'd do it and how to combat the issue (he can do that you know-naming who, & nothing would stop him from putting in the memo whatever he chooses to, including that when it arises)

or...........

-as he works more with them, in time, he becomes more sympathetic to their cause and decides to take an offer to become an informant and use DefCon to bust people and then when it's done, DefCon is forever disbanded (thus this great place to trade skills and etc is no longer available)

And this is just 2 I can think of right now.

Pro-Obama? Wtf and where the fuck are you getting that from the Fox News article? I agree with Ohm - there's nothing in neither the Foxnews nor the wired article that even covers that topic.

there no reason to curse, read again what I wrote : pro Obama is my personal opinion and Fox News used your president for headline

Get help sir, you're hallucinating from LSD.

I call you a liar

If I understand correctly, he wasn't phreaking - he was calling free? Ok.... calling free is not part of phreaking sometimes. ;)

duh, this is what I point out; if he was just calling for free his advisory on phreaking might me mediocre

Worried about what?

worry that when troubled with phreaking and law his advisory as "phreaking" expert could cause some 'damages' because it is possible

he knows phreaking only from theory and HS obviously does not at all so they surely would rely on his opinion

duh, this is what I point out; if he was just calling for free his advisory on phreaking might me mediocre

Why do you keep bringing up a small phrase injected to attempt to explain phreaking in a news article meant for the general public? It has nothing to do with anything (except sloppy journalism).

Why do you keep bringing up a small phrase

I will no longer discuss with you as you read only particles not the whole story

I read the story. Both of them. Twice. Have you read them? Phreaking was mentioned once in passing, it has nothing to do with anything.

I gotta agree with Ohm on this one. I can't see much to be worried about :/

In fact, I'm kinda excited that we've got one of our own on-board with the DHS. I agree with Ohm that the minor comment on phreaking seems more like a journalism quote to spice the article up for the general public, but even if his idea of phreaking IS slightly off (once again, I think you're blowing the comment out of proportion though) its still probably better and more informed than many of the people on there right now.

So any step in this direction is a great step forward. Why do we feel the need that when something that could be beneficial to our cause happens, we feel we need to point out how it could go wrong. Sure, he could turn into some evil hacker-killer and totally try to destroy the scene, but honestly, I doubt something like that will happen. I think hes gonna offer his input honestly and will hopefully give a much-needed perspective to the board.

EDIT: Also, I'd say that 'phreaking' in almost every article meant for public eyes, has been defined as 'making free phone calls' with some rare exceptions. Its just one of the tags that goes with the game. Same with hacking being considered as 'stealing credit cards and destroying computer systems'

Edited by PhreakerD7